Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Wide Oval Muffler Tip Shield on Turbo Bumper Trying to Secede from Union...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 188 Posts
Angry Wide Oval Muffler Tip Shield on Turbo Bumper Trying to Secede from Union...

Got your attention? Good! Let's see if you can help me out...

The metal heat shield on the bumper just above the exhaust tip is making my life difficult. The top rivet that holds it in place is MIA, the one on the side is on its way. The shield touches the muffler tip and makes a nasty rattling sound that I can hear in the cabin. Looking at PET it seems I need new rivets... Anyone have experience with replacing those? Is a special rivet tool needed? And can it be done without removing the rear bumper?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Got your attention? Good! Let's see if you can help me out...

The metal heat shield on the bumper just above the exhaust tip is making my life difficult. The top rivet that holds it in place is MIA, the one on the side is on its way. The shield touches the muffler tip and makes a nasty rattling sound that I can hear in the cabin. Looking at PET it seems I need new rivets... Anyone have experience with replacing those? Is a special rivet tool needed? And can it be done without removing the rear bumper?

Thanks!
you can ask Adam
flatsixforme
since he had to replace his
but i think you just need to use any short aluminum or stainless rivet and a pop rivet tool.

no reaon to remove rear bumper, but will likely need to remove tip

I drove a CTS V wagon today
Powerful
but i won't be selling the Avant anytime soon to buy one.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Thanks Craig! Sounds quite doable.

The CTS V wagon is quite a machine! But the only other car that will make me separate from my Avant would be a W211 (or W212 if I win the lottery) AMG wagon. I love my V8 rocket!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced mine with genuine OE Porsche parts and noticed the new replacements do not have the "flush" rivits. However after using the correct size off the market, is hardly noticeable except for reflection in polished tips.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Yeah, I want it flush without reflection. I could use a self-tapping screw there and I'm sure it won't be noticeable to 99.9% of the people but I will know!

Just bought a rivet gun today, will give it a shot this weekend see how it goes...
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 AM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rivet tool is great! You don't have to remove the bumper. The rivet works like this: you stick the rivet along with a center rod in it, into the hole, then the gun pulls the rod back towards you, crushing the back/opposite side side of the rivet and then cuts the rod flush. Bam! you're done!!!

I had a couple of bracket holding my center taillight together, that came apart. So, I brought a rivet gun and took care of it! Quick and simple. FYI, taking a rivet out is easy too. Just drill out the pin/rod in the center of the rivet.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Wide Oval Muffler Tip Shield on Turbo Bumper Trying to Secede from Union...