993 Forum 1995-1998

RS America Sport Seat Value Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RS America Sport Seat Value Question

Need some help. I've come across a set of RSA sport seats that I'm considering for my car. Not to replace the stock leather seats in my car, but as an occasional alternative. I consider the RSA sport seat to be one of the most comfortable seat Porsche ever put in a car. Still kinda heavy, but grippy and I like the look.

What are these worth? I tried searching here and on EBay and came up dry. Does $1400-1500 seem about right? Thanks.

Nick
Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Well, since they are rare they sell at a premium. But it all depends on how badly the seller wants to get rid of them and how much the buyer wants them...

I sold the set from my old RSA for $1300 about 5 years ago. And there was a set recently for sale here that had an asking price of $2000 but I think he settled for about $1800.

They are super comfortable seats, so if the price is right for you definitely get them!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

thanks for the response; helpful, and good timing that there's a post about Pole Position seats on the forum. Best looking seat IMO, hands down. I'm just not sure that I wouldn't tire from the ingress/egress with the PP's, but damn, they are tempting...

It's too bad it's such a PITA to switch seats in a 993. On my 73 I can swap seats in and out in about 40 minutes, max.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RSA seats are very nice. From a usage standpoint, I like them better than hardback sport seats. As with all factory recliners, only problem is weight. I have Cobra Misanos in my 993 (from Nurburger).
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
thanks for the response; helpful, and good timing that there's a post about Pole Position seats on the forum. Best looking seat IMO, hands down. I'm just not sure that I wouldn't tire from the ingress/egress with the PP's, but damn, they are tempting...

It's too bad it's such a PITA to switch seats in a 993. On my 73 I can swap seats in and out in about 40 minutes, max.
good luck with the new seats Nick

how long does it take to swap seats?
> 1 hour?????????????

you need to come watch me sometime.
20 minutes tops to remove "street seats" and install the Cobras.
A 12" longhandled hex driver is the key to effciency.
That and lotssa practice.

cheers

Craig
Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

If you plan on removing the seats often you need to invest in quality bolts because the stock ones are made of cheese. But as Craig said it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:38 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the RSA seats; I'm still thinking about them and realize I should sell some left over 914 stuff to fund another set of seats.

And I wasn't the thinking clearly on the 993 seat swap. I've read so many posts on the difficulty that guys have when installing racing shells but duh..that's not the case with the RSA's. It's a direct plug & play swap.

Agree on the quality hardware. The stock bolts are just too soft and are easy to chew up.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP

Agree on the quality hardware. The stock bolts are just too soft and are easy to chew up.
Marshalls Hardware, just down the street from your favorite P car shop, has them. I buy the black anodized BHCS type. They also sell them in stainless.
I think 7mm X 15mm? might be 8 or 10mm.

I'd rather have the RSA seats than my Cobras.

Craig
Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
Marshalls Hardware, just down the street from your favorite P car shop, has them. I buy the black anodized BHCS type. They also sell them in stainless.
I think 7mm X 15mm? might be 8 or 10mm.

I'd rather have the RSA seats than my Cobras.

Craig
Craig- Thanks. I'm a regular at Marshall's. I go at lunchtime once in a while just to browse. Best hardware store in San Diego.

Quick Reply: RS America Sport Seat Value Question