Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Stereo Head Unit Hunt - Facrory finish but aftermarket make?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 AM
funkymonkey
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to include this link which shows the Installation Kit...sorry about that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-987-...item4ab7bec7b9
Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by funkymonkey
Forgot to include this link which shows the Installation Kit...sorry about that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-987-...item4ab7bec7b9
I don't think that is going to fit in any 993.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Parrot

anyone have a pic of this unit in their car? The Parrot in a 993
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about poor camera phone quality shots.
I do agree there is some glare from the screen but appears more in photos and i don't have a problem reading the screen in actuality.
Voice recognition works very well.. it reads you your emails and texts.. However the Maps function currently is not turn by turn GPS but i think its being worked on. At present i have my sat nav on my phone and the audio instructions from the phone are played out through the asteroid over whatever I'm listening to at the time.
Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Pardon this dumb question: many of these aftermarket systems have USB plug in at the back of the unit. How do you plug your music device to the back when it's not accessible in front?

Is it simply to plug a USB cord at the back of the unit and run it to, say, the glove box and then plug your ipod to this extension?

Thanks, I'd like to know.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default sure

Yes good question... the plug in many is in the back, acces only at install time... you buy a plug (maybe some come with it) and attach to the back during install and then run the line to where you would have your mp3 player or iphone or other sitting etc... This way you don't have cables running up to the stereo face and running down to your device... "front plug in" is offered by many and sounds better but looks terrible, cluttered, etc with a plug running down the face of your system and then to where your device sits.

Hope that helps....

Originally Posted by mdude
Pardon this dumb question: many of these aftermarket systems have USB plug in at the back of the unit. How do you plug your music device to the back when it's not accessible in front?

Is it simply to plug a USB cord at the back of the unit and run it to, say, the glove box and then plug your ipod to this extension?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 AM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

I have wired the USB, Line in and iPod / iPhone connection to the glove box. However the USB port is taken by the 3G/Internet Connection in my set up. One USB extension to go from the back of the unit to the glove box comes with the unit and I think there are 3 spare ports I'm not using.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Benton
Drifting

mickfluff: Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have that shows much of the head unit. Crappy representation, I know! My interior is in pieces for my restoration/restomod, so the head unit is sitting on a shelf right now.

Kenwood KIV-BT900 btw.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I went with this. Much more than what I really needed and looks very understated in the dash. The sound is incredible. The screen can be changed to something without the goofy animated graphics (why do they put those in a audiophile quality unit anyway?). The screen does tend to get a little washed out in the sun however.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/DEH-80PRS
What speakers are you using with the Pioneer unit? Do you have any pictures of it installed? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
mickfluff: Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have that shows much of the head unit. Crappy representation, I know! My interior is in pieces for my restoration/restomod, so the head unit is sitting on a shelf right now.

Kenwood KIV-BT900 btw.
I really like that interior. It is very similar to what mine will look like except mine will be US Navy Tartan.
--Michael
Old 09-13-2012, 01:05 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Where I put the mics:

You can see where I put my iPhone, in the Ashtray:
Old 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude

There are numerous USBs in the back of the unit... there is one dedicated iphone/ipod usb jack that i run the cord to the ashtray, where my iphone easily sits...

I run one for the GPS antenna to the far right side of the dash...

and I run a normal USB cord to the glove box to update the system and if I wanted to access another device, but i've only used it for updating system...

the best thing it does is bluetooth and look good in the dash...
Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
I really like that interior. It is very similar to what mine will look like except mine will be US Navy Tartan.
--Michael
Thanks, Michael. It's in the history books now, as it was more of a stopgap for the current interior that is coming together. My original marble gray was looking tired, so I redid it and tested out my upholstery skills. Now that I have learned a bit more, it's time to take it to the next level with what I have always dreamed of (full leather Can Can/black). Start a thread for your interior makeover... I'd love to see the tartan pattern you are using!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
What speakers are you using with the Pioneer unit? Do you have any pictures of it installed? Thanks!
I'll upload some pics tonight. I was going to replace the whole system (Alpine head unit, Alpine amp and J L Audio speakers) that the PO had installed - until I researched what I had. Here are the speakers:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136ZR65...ZR650-Csi.html
Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Just spoke with my contacts at Porsche Canada and they tell me that the company that makes the classic looking navigation unit is not able to negotiate with the maps suppliers to provide the North American maps.

Quick Reply: 993 Stereo Head Unit Hunt - Facrory finish but aftermarket make?