new owner intro

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner intro

Howdy all-

Wanted to introduce myself, my '96 993 C2 cab arrived here in Sunny CT last week from Denver.

I was on RL some when I first got my '87 930 (sold last fall after 4yrs & 20k to fund my new daily, S600 with 495rwhp / 612rwtq - its' Just Not Right and particularly amusing). At the time I found the gang on Pelican to be more camaraderieous (beware - I make up words) for ??? reason so I wasn't on RL much. From the surfing I've done here tho (the Pelican 993 board seems a bit quieter?), you all seem to be a great bunch so I'm looking forward to learning immensely from you and to contributing what my meagerness can muster.

Sold my '58 TR3A of 19yrs to get this, figured time for a change and my three younger kids could never (ever) go in the '3. I loaded it onto a trailer to Wichita the day after this arrived, somehow I finagled 2 simultaneous sight-unseen (!) transactions that worked out just splendidly.

I'm giddy I found pretty much literally the exact car I could have hoped for, and it just sort of happened / fell together. Wish it had heated seats, but it's a CA car originally. I always dug burgundy German cars but never wanted one for mesself - until I saw this combo w/ the silver top - I was weak knee'd and had to have it.

Yeah... I know the rules... but I shamefully only thus far have seller pics and crappy ones from delivery night:

Plans for it that I've come up with so far:

-lower / corner balance / align (Rancho, begone!)
-Euro rear corner indicators (rid the criminally indistinguishable red's, but wtf those are priceybits compared to my 930)
-Xe conversion (aftermarket retrofit, wish it had Litronics)
-oval tips (source / style suggestions appreciated)
-steering wheel of some sort (possible airbagectomy - I realllly miss my Prototipo mit hub extender)
-mufflers (suggestions appreciated - I want good sound but not obnoxiously loud... tho I miss my RarlyL8 & Powerhaus setup shooting flames, sigh)
-immobilizerotomy (seller did the neu style FOB recently but it's still a PITA!)

I've got a bunch of Q's I'll bore you all with, I'll RTFM and scour the forum some first 8-). I've put 300mi on it thus far, it sure is a tremendous driving car - in a lot of ways muuuuch better than my 930 (ducks). It's bone stock save for the Alpine deck and door speakers, and clutch was done @ 54k so I got that goin for me.

Otherwise, I'm always engaged in various sorts of automotive shenanigans and debauchery (turboPALOOZA's, //SFest www.sfest.com that I founded, etc.) - I'm always up for meeting local owners and doing fun things (DE, autox, etc.)... and I especially enjoy a good laugh (don't take me too seriously and you may require a Paul-to-Engrish dictionary).

Looking forward to being part of the gang here.

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty car.

Who did the transport for you? Cost from CO to CT?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the purchase !! That is truly an amazing looking car, the color combo is superb. If you haven't purchased your suspension components yet I would recommend going with H&R springs OE Sport Springs they're designed with a revised spring rate for increased driving convenience with great handling characteristics. OE Sport Springs offer a mild lowering to cleanup that "too high-rally-stock look." Stock ride comfort is retained.

Also, I would consider a front and rear H&R Sport Sway Bars. Sway bars will increase your suspension’s roll stiffness—or its resistance to roll in turns—while maintaining ride comfort and dramatically increasing cornering control, lateral stability, and grip.

For more information Click Here
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

Great looking car. I think you will like it here. We will do our best to answer your questions.....and help you spend your money

Emerald
Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Welcome. My first car was a 1962 TR4 that I loved before I took a broadside from an International Harvester truck in the rain. Just glad to be here. The pcar will have you forgetting the Triumph but not the feel of a more crude sportscar.

Last edited by Zed.; 09-11-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice TR3. I had a TR 4 and a TR 4A with their primitive independent rear suspension. Great choice of cars.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Love the garage
Old 09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

thanks for the warm welcome, it's appreciated!

Shipping was $700 from Denver to CT, my broker friend aligned me with K.B. Transportation Inc., New Milford, NJ (201- 753- 3309, 203-470-7063). No issues, a day later than predicted then a few bumps in time on the day of delivery, but otherwise good.

Funny how many 911 nuts had Triumphs. Like how many of my Audiot friends in the //S-car community all cut their teeth on Sciroccos... great minds think alike I guess 8-). My dad had a '3 that he traded on a new '66 4A IRS (one of 2 new cars my fam's ever bought). I opted to restore a '3 in his memory (lost him when I was 18).

Man, broadsided in a '4??? NO THANKS! That was one reason I didn't feel bad about moving on - as I age, I got major delusions of granduer when I drove the thing! Visions of a wheel flying off an sending me into an oncoming semi, the trees, a ditch, etc. Yikes!

Got the 993 reg'd today - no more runnin dirty woot! 8-)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats. I like the gray top.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome (back)!

Great color combo...
Congratulations
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! I like Cabs and Arena Red Cabs even better. I think you and I likely have a rarer interior/top combo than most other AR Cabs as most of them at least that I've seen have black tops and interiors.

These are the mods I'm considering, hope they help:

- Bilstein HD/ROW M033 suspension - a good combo to lower the ride height, improve handling and maintain a similar ride to what you have now. The M033 is a good spring for Cabs due to their less rigid structure (vs the M030)
- Walrod Bushings to tighten up the steering
- SSK/Goldenrod from FD Motorsports to improve the shifting
- Front Strut Brace (Schnell or other)
- M030 Sway Bars

Hope that helps!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Awwww Krikey, Paul has found his way over to the RL 993 Forum!!!! Were all in for it now!!!!!!

1. Not sure what to tell you on the lowering project. It's like asking "what oil do you use", everyone will answer differently! IME, most will tell you that OEM Euro MO30 shocks and springs are the way to go, but it's spendy for sure. Outside of that, it seems that Koni FSD's with H&R have earned themselves a pretty good reputation. Lots like Bilstein, but seems they are a little harsher than most like.

2. Euro Rear Corners pricey? Come on Audi boy, You should know by now that you need to call Sunset! I bought them ~6 months ago for $200/ea.

3. Don't know how to help you with the xenons here. Never done the aftermarket thing with those.

4. Wide ovals are available from a variety of sources, but I think you'll find that FD Motorsport is a friend to you and your 993:

http://fdmotorsports.net/993-exhaust-tips-wide-ovals

5. If you want to go sans airbag, a good OEM option is the RS Steering wheel.....spendy, but oh-so nice! If you want to keep the airbag, then the 3-spoker from a 996 is a bolt-in deal.

6. Mufflers? See #4 above ^ ..... Fister Stage II is what I had on my C2 and they sound simply magical!!! No flames, but ohhhhhhh that sound!!!

http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-993-stage-2

7. Can't help with the immobilizer removal, but I am 99% sure that it's more effort and $$$ than it's worth. Deal with it son!

GREAT to have you aboard Paul! You are a FANTASTIC addition to ANY forum!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

OK, dont laugh, I had a Scirocco after the TR4. Do you think we are genetically clonal in regards to this sports car thing?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

For a Cab, 033 Springs and Koni FSD

I am not a fan of the look of Euro rear turns... fronts yes, not rears...

Stage III Fister Mufflers - Ceramic Coated with their big wide ovals

TLights for HIDs - easy install, work great

I am in Denver as well if you want to meet so you can hear and view my setup...

Quick Reply: new owner intro