Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

best place in the SF Bay Area for top end rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

FD Motorsports
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
Fair enough, but you have to remember that that particular car had a pretty sordid history with its previous PO "adam"? (well documented here) and the spec was pretty outrageous too. I would not judge the shop on the basis of that one job - it was truly a one-off - but it's certainly a fair data point.
Yep. Just a data point and a decent reason to proceed with caution.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, we're all over the map here so I'll just start with the stream of consciousness.............

The fact that you're burning oil with some kind of a 4.0 kit speaks volumes. I'll wager something fairly significant you won't be finding your problem in the top end.

Now, where do you go? EVERYONE working in the Bay Area is top notch. Are there individual issues that crop up? Sure. But you've got to work with who you feel comfortable with. That said, I can't imagine anyone taking in something like this without the implicit understanding that you're giving them a near-blank check. So we won't even talk about anything less than 5-figures. You can conceivably get to $20K working with one of the race shops. Sorry, that's how they roll. And before I even hear the first comment about these prices being a "rip off" consider what you do for a living, how you're compensated, and what you'd need to make for undertaking a (likely) incorrectly modified project and fixing it first time/right way with your reputation riding on it. If you say that you'd be able to net less than $7-8K on such a job, how about you go open a Porsche specialty shop and report back in a couple of years.

Now onto Alvin's old car. The engine that went into is was NOT the one that came with the car when he bought it. It was a Craigslist special that Alvin bought for north of $30K. Then a "quick refresh" from Rob at SCARGO turned into something different altogether. I saw the engine (actually, practically inspected it with Rob one afternoon), and it was pretty much a mess. Does that mean there were not problems in the execution of what was promised/expected? No. But these one-offs are ripe for second guessing. Which is why I avoided that whole side of the business in the mid-'80s when Turbo Mania hit.

Circling back, if I were still in the business and had an owner inquiry, I'd politely state that I'd disassemble/inspect for time charged. Then we'd go over what failed, and what needs to be done to PROPERLY fix the engine. If my professional opinion and quote weren't accepted, I'd gladly let the owner transport the chassis and the disassembled/properly boxed blob-of-an-engine to another shop of his choosing with no hard feelings.

Somewhat related, if you've got 15 minutes to kill:

http://www.thatvideomagazine.com/new...f3deba9a0e11e6
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Great video! Thanks for the post.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would classify a rebuild of a 4 liter 993 engine as a "one off.". Obviously I wouldn't have posted if the OP asked where to get an oil change.....
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
OK, we're all over the map here so I'll just start with the stream of consciousness.............

The fact that you're burning oil with some kind of a 4.0 kit speaks volumes. I'll wager something fairly significant you won't be finding your problem in the top end.

Now, where do you go? EVERYONE working in the Bay Area is top notch. Are there individual issues that crop up? Sure. But you've got to work with who you feel comfortable with. That said, I can't imagine anyone taking in something like this without the implicit understanding that you're giving them a near-blank check. So we won't even talk about anything less than 5-figures. You can conceivably get to $20K working with one of the race shops. Sorry, that's how they roll. And before I even hear the first comment about these prices being a "rip off" consider what you do for a living, how you're compensated, and what you'd need to make for undertaking a (likely) incorrectly modified project and fixing it first time/right way with your reputation riding on it. If you say that you'd be able to net less than $7-8K on such a job, how about you go open a Porsche specialty shop and report back in a couple of years.

Now onto Alvin's old car. The engine that went into is was NOT the one that came with the car when he bought it. It was a Craigslist special that Alvin bought for north of $30K. Then a "quick refresh" from Rob at SCARGO turned into something different altogether. I saw the engine (actually, practically inspected it with Rob one afternoon), and it was pretty much a mess. Does that mean there were not problems in the execution of what was promised/expected? No. But these one-offs are ripe for second guessing. Which is why I avoided that whole side of the business in the mid-'80s when Turbo Mania hit.

Circling back, if I were still in the business and had an owner inquiry, I'd politely state that I'd disassemble/inspect for time charged. Then we'd go over what failed, and what needs to be done to PROPERLY fix the engine. If my professional opinion and quote weren't accepted, I'd gladly let the owner transport the chassis and the disassembled/properly boxed blob-of-an-engine to another shop of his choosing with no hard feelings.

Somewhat related, if you've got 15 minutes to kill:

http://www.thatvideomagazine.com/new...f3deba9a0e11e6
thanks for your input, the information you have provided has definitely crossed my mind more than once. I Might opt out and try to pick up a running 3.6L and drop that back into the car. I'm currently weighing out my options and at this point in time, I don't think I could afford to rebuild the 4.0 I'll keep you guys updated. Rennlist.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Washabi
thanks for your input, the information you have provided has definitely crossed my mind more than once. I Might opt out and try to pick up a running 3.6L and drop that back into the car. I'm currently weighing out my options and at this point in time, I don't think I could afford to rebuild the 4.0 I'll keep you guys updated. Rennlist.
From the look of your car a rebuild or transplant will be well worth the effort. The cost of the 3.6L could be partially recouped by selling the engine as is to a race shop or the like for them to do the rebuild.

Third option not for the purists.... a corvette V8 donor
Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Washabi
Glad to give input. I think it's pretty clear I run on the conservative side, and from what *I* have seen/heard the 4.0L stuff isn't worth it. Hell, I don't think the 3.8L stuff is worth it, if I'm paying for it.

Another guy to consider who's extensively raced air cooled 4.0s in PRC (and finishes first overall, unless Bob Stefanowicz shows up with his turbo car) is Mat Lowrance of Reno Rennsport. But being a race engine, those things are on the "20 hour" program.

Let's hope for the best and say it's all in the valvetrain. I'd sure send the heads up to Steve Weiner for expert workmanship + honest price, no matter who does the assembly. Unless the car ends up at a complete in-house solution like Woods.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 192 Posts

did you get this car from Sport Haus in Reno? The color combo and year looks right to me. That car had a "supposed" 4L build also.

I tried to document the build, they had some paper work, I talked to the mechanic that they told me did the work-a local Indy no longer wrenching at Sport Haus. All the build claims that they made, I later proved false. In the end, it's one of the reasons I stayed away.

I long since threw my files away on the car, and every other I researched the hell out of during my search. Anyway, in that vintage of a 4L build, Patrick Motorsports was the place...that is who they told me the kit came from. But...Patrick never sold a 4L kit to anyone in Reno. And besides the 4L build having billet heads, the motor needs a stroker 964 style crank.

That Sport haus build had neither.

Feel free to pm me if it is indeed that car.

Regardless, I wish you all the luck.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I use both RMG and Don Wise (Don's Autowerk Campbell, CA). They are both great shops.

Tony Hyer in Mountain View also comes very highly recommended. No personal experience though.

My recommendation is to talk to each shop and get a sense of rapport for yourself. When Viper Bob was still here he was the most popular guy around, because he had great rapport with everyone he worked with.

GL with the cure.

CP
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
did you get this car from Sport Haus in Reno? The color combo and year looks right to me. That car had a "supposed" 4L build also.

I tried to document the build, they had some paper work, I talked to the mechanic that they told me did the work-a local Indy no longer wrenching at Sport Haus. All the build claims that they made, I later proved false. In the end, it's one of the reasons I stayed away.

I long since threw my files away on the car, and every other I researched the hell out of during my search. Anyway, in that vintage of a 4L build, Patrick Motorsports was the place...that is who they told me the kit came from. But...Patrick never sold a 4L kit to anyone in Reno. And besides the 4L build having billet heads, the motor needs a stroker 964 style crank.

That Sport haus build had neither.

Feel free to pm me if it is indeed that car.

Regardless, I wish you all the luck.
Oh yeah, forgot about our conversations on the archeology of that car. From what I remember, Mat didn't have any recollection either. Was funny seeing the Sport Haus Mahal going up in the little burg that is Reno during the time we had our getaway house up there on one of the golf courses.

Quick Reply: best place in the SF Bay Area for top end rebuild?