Sponsored by:

Rebuilt + Refinshed Calipers, RS Mount installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:19 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rebuilt + Refinshed Calipers, RS Mount installed

Well my Big Reds were faded to a dull pink and really let the car down on the whole. When I purchased the car, there was evidence from service history that the calipers were abused. I cut and pasted a bit from the service records which indicated as much. I've never done much brake work but I found that both calipers were very easy to work with. My dust boots on the front rotors had become dust themselves, but the pistons looked good. I used pressurized air and cut up a 2 by 4 to block the pistons that i wanted to come out. Sorry I didn't get a picture of that, but I just googled Brembo caliper rebuild and followed the DIY on a Subie website. I sandblasted the calipers in my buddies blasting cabinet and turned them in to Wheel techniques in Highland Park for paint and clear with decals from Ebay. See the before and after pics, a few flaws that only I would notice but still a good job for the price. Lastly, my motor mounts were leaking so I replaced my mounts at the same time while the car was up. I followed the p-car DIY (great website and thank you!) and found the turbo install to be even easier than an N/A car because there are no AC lines to get in your way. The most time consuming operation for me was removing the passenger side mount. I took a photo of the orientation and location which permitted removal as a lessons learned for others. Afterwards, i've noticed the car looks better with refinished calipers, a slight shimmy came into the picture under light braking but once i had a few hundred miles on the pads that went away. My exhaust tips seem better aligned after the motor mount swap but I plan on gutting the system this winter as the tips have turned a drab brown color and my heat shields are no longer fastened to the exhaust but rather sitting in place and rattling annoyingly every time the tach sweeps 2000 RPM.
Attached Images       
Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more pics
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Very nice!

Andreas
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

Awesome!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks great Nick. I always like seeing your car around. Cheryl and I did the C2S's calipers over the winter and had them powder coated Arena Red (well, close enough):

Of course, we almost immediately put these on the black car so I could make class and put the TT/RS calipers on the "S" - I think we will rebuild them this winter and who knows what color we will try.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rebuilt + Refinshed Calipers, RS Mount installed