Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires - is it necessary to match from and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to disagree here with most of you guys with mixing...

Obviously, the safe and best bet is to go with same brand etc. but that doesn't mean mixing automatically doesn't work.

It can actually make you car handle more the way YOU prefer.
For example, if you like oversteer (or under), you can adjust with different brand or model tires.
Problem with this is that in order to optimize, you should try made different, or get lucky...

I currently have different brand tires in from than rear (I'd never mix side from side) and my car handles great.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Going to disagree here with most of you guys with mixing...

Obviously, the safe and best bet is to go with same brand etc. but that doesn't mean mixing automatically doesn't work.

It can actually make you car handle more the way YOU prefer.
For example, if you like oversteer (or under), you can adjust with different brand or model tires.
Problem with this is that in order to optimize, you should try made different, or get lucky...

I currently have different brand tires in from than rear (I'd never mix side from side) and my car handles great.

And your car would handle even better if you had matched tires. Hard to believe that you are advocating mixing tires. If someone does not have the funds to buy a matched set, then just be very careful. And drive it like a Honda Accord.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno about taming it down to Accord-level driving. I've got Sumi III's in front (the tires simply refuse to wear out) and Sumi II's in the rear (about the 3rd set, after the matching III's I had on there wore out), and the tires will let me get away with just about anything I care to try. (No, I'm not tracking it, however.)

Buy the type of tires (fronts is it, in your case?) you plan on transitioning to, and then when the other two go, you can restore the perfect match.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
And your car would handle even better if you had matched tires. Hard to believe that you are advocating mixing tires. If someone does not have the funds to buy a matched set, then just be very careful. And drive it like a Honda Accord.
I think there's a little more nuance to it than "matched tires are always best".
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I never understood the matching issue. Certain major tire brands outline a different compound and tread for the front vs. the back on 993. Also on 993 the tires are also of differing withs front to back so have differing contact patch sizes. For this reason I see no issue of mixing tires front vs back.
Andy
Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Hard to believe that you are advocating mixing tires.
I'm advocating mixing tires too, and I do it gleefully, with the special delight that comes from heterodoxy.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

If you have to mix tire types try to get tires that have the same tread wear number/rating. Using Porsches internal joke about the US market(80% / 20%) you should be just fine.

The joke is that 80% of US Porsche buyers will never be able to use 20% of the cars performance because Americans do not know how to drive.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

I run different tires on all four corners. I also have negative rake and have altered the rear roll center. Did I mention mixed spring rates? Setup chaos is a good way to build skills.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I run different tires on all four corners. I also have negative rake and have altered the rear roll center. Did I mention mixed spring rates? Setup chaos is a good way to build skills.
sWEET set up! Only way to fly. anyone not doing this type of set up is a *****!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

On my way to work, I have 2/3 more right hand corners than left hand ones. As a result, I have different tire types and different tire sizes to help the car turn better in right turns.

Seriously, of course it makes sense to use the same type of tire for both ends of the car. Doing so could have nutty results or the outcome might be benign. I've done it before (once) and it was simply no big deal.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

I've run the 993 with new rear ContiSport2 N2 and new front Vredestein Sessantas. I drive assertively. I ran this mixture until the Contis had worn out, and never had a problem. Then fitted Sessantas on the rear. No great difference, other than anytime you go from old to new tyres.

As every car, you drive it to the grip levels available on that day in that weather.

I've even driven the evil 3.2 SSE with Goodyear F1s on the front and something very cheap and nasty on the rear, again without an issue.

Don't mix ON an axle of course.

Last edited by orangecurry; 09-04-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Tires - is it necessary to match from and rear?