Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Heal/Toe Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I do not get all this fancy pedal stuff - I can brake and blip/control the throttle simultaneously easily with the 993 regular pedals, no issues, no height adjustments. Mind you, I have been doing that for coming up to 40 years now, and learned to drive on a 3-ton truck with NO syncros, and after we lost the clutch pedal, with NO clutch at all (this was on public roads but very quiet - hauling hog fuel if anyone knows what that is, and you started the truck in gear... eventually we lost the brakes, used it for about 6 months after that, and then scrapped the truck).

Perhaps I have the right sized feet for this (11), but I have not had any problems with any of the cars I have driven with pedal heights, or spacing - on the track or street. Double clutching, controlling braking and throttle at the same time, speed/rpm matching ->it just takes practice, practice and practice, and eventually your muscle memory will develop and you will just get a feel for it.

Cheers,

Mike
Truth, and testament to the fact that practice makes perfect. As Mike (in addition to the fact that Dad raced SCCA in the sixties and I heel/toed in my 9 yearold dreams) - I learned on the farm trucks; no brakes, no syncros and often no clutch to speak of.

Not bragging, but I can H/Tvirtually anything, in any boot, shoe or combination thereof.

JUST DO IT.

Always.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 818 Posts

I do not get all this fancy pedal stuff - I can brake and blip/control the throttle simultaneously easily with the 993 regular pedals, no issues, no height adjustments. Mind you, I have been doing that for coming up to 40 years now, and learned to drive on a 3-ton truck with NO syncros, and after we lost the clutch pedal, with NO clutch at all (this was on public roads but very quiet - hauling hog fuel if anyone knows what that is, and you started the truck in gear... eventually we lost the brakes, used it for about 6 months after that, and then scrapped the truck).

Perhaps I have the right sized feet for this (11), but I have not had any problems with any of the cars I have driven with pedal heights, or spacing - on the track or street. Double clutching, controlling braking and throttle at the same time, speed/rpm matching ->it just takes practice, practice and practice, and eventually your muscle memory will develop and you will just get a feel for it.

Cheers,

Mike
It all depends what method you use. I don't have an excessively wide foot, so my method of ball of foot on brake, other side on gas needs the pedals to be close together horizontally and vertically. As a result, I had to bring the gas pedal up.

Could I do the actual heel and toe on almost any car the other way, probably, but its not as comfortable.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB

JUST DO IT.

Always.
Well said.... It really is just that simple.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Not bragging, but I can H/Tvirtually anything, in any boot, shoe or combination thereof.

High heels, too?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
High heels, too?
Now Mark!

I just LOVE my little pumps...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Now Mark!

I just LOVE my little pumps...
Nomex pumps with carbon fiber orthotics are what all of the fast drivers are sporting.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Cheers,

Mike
I agree, I've always found the 993 perfectly setup as is to heel/toe in. Could never do it with any grace in my E36 M3 but it's so natural in the 993.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Van1
I agree, I've always found the 993 perfectly setup as is to heel/toe in. Could never do it with any grace in my E36 M3 but it's so natural in the 993.
Interesting, I've found the exact opposite
Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
As with most things on Rennlist...
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Same here. Did I just agree with Quadcammer.....I think I did.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by firesm
As with most things on Rennlist...
what fun would it be if everybody agreed

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Same here. Did I just agree with Quadcammer.....I think I did.
its a rare, but life changing occurrence, I assure you.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

My Mini Cooper S has better pedals for H&T, but that is also due to 9 years of practice.. and the car is a lot less work to dance with than the 993.

phil.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

If you're going to use the 'pinky toe' technique, which IMHO works best with the 911 floor hinged accelerator pedal, strongly suggest you get a grippy brake pedal cover (SRP is excellent) so that your foot doesn't slip off the brake.

Also a big fan of the Rennline fully adjustable replacement accl pedal rather than a pedal cover.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doberdog
Now, S2000 pedals are perfect for heel-toe. For me in the 993 I have to have the ball of the foot a little higher on the brake pedal so I can depress the accelerator a little higher up as it is floor hinged, depressing the accelerator lower down doesn't work well as you are closer to the pivoting point. Personally it is not very intuitive in the 993.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Very interesting. Me too. E36 M3 was quite easy to role my foot over onto the gas pedal. I removed the rubber cover on the brake pedal for further ease for on the street use with less brake pressure. However, while initially I found the 993 almost impossible after finding the right seating position, totally different position than what I had used in the M3, I'm able to start to heal toe in the 993. Still trying to get use to the throttle response for a perfect match.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Heal/Toe Shifting