Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Recover / Re-Leather their Shifter knob / boot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:57 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Anyone Recover / Re-Leather their Shifter **** / boot?

Man, perusing this site sure ads to my project list not to mention ding my checkbook (MTS is laughing). After seeing the beautiful results shown in the steering wheel thread, I'm contemplating that along with addressing the only ugly spot left in or on the car IMO, the shifter ****. My car has the light marble grey interior and the shifter is starting to show wear, has anyone sent their shifter out to Dallas or anyone else with good results? I'd like to keep it marble grey instead of going to black so that greatly limits my choices. Once again, thanks guys for a wonderful site.......
Old 08-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a pretty simple job for anyone with a sewing machine, so I would imagine that a pro shop could do an excellent job. If you want to give it a shot yourself (or if you know someone with a sewing machine), it's fairly easy to remove the covers, pick the stitches, make some patterns, and sew it all back together. That's how I have done it a couple of times and will be doing it again for my interior makeover in a couple of months. Gotta finish the big stuff, then the shift ****/boot and the e-brake handle will be some of the last details to complete.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benton
It's a pretty simple job for anyone with a sewing machine, so I would imagine that a pro shop could do an excellent job. If you want to give it a shot yourself (or if you know someone with a sewing machine), it's fairly easy to remove the covers, pick the stitches, make some patterns, and sew it all back together. That's how I have done it a couple of times and will be doing it again for my interior makeover in a couple of months. Gotta finish the big stuff, then the shift ****/boot and the e-brake handle will be some of the last details to complete.
Actually the wife is quite the seamstress, not sure if the thickness of the leather vs. fabric would be an issue, will ask her. Where do you source the leather? Years back I covered some plastic bits in my Boxster with thin leather I bought on ebay, worked out great, that was glued though.

As a result, Anyone with an old / nasty shifter and boot looking to sell, Please let me know:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...important.html

Last edited by coreseller; 08-25-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:43 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 311 Posts

Very interested also.
I also have the light gray that needs a little TLC.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:09 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

I have one you can have, wouldn't mind a replacement - consider it practice ;-) pm me your address & I'll send it Monday.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

PM'd you ToSi, let me at least cover shipping. Ruflife also offered one for a very favorable price, I'm going to take his also (in case I foul one up) and document how it goes with pictures and a write-up. If all goes well hopefully it will save fellow RL'ers a few bucks also. Once again, you guys are the best........
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good question about sourcing the correct leather color! In the past, I have had custom Surflex colors mixed to dye the leather, but that would not be cost-effective for you if you are just doing a small item. There is a company called Kyson Leather that sells on eBay and through a website (not sure of the name) that will send you samples, or you may be able to send them a sample of your leather (like underneath the seat for an area that is not discolored and won't be noticeable if cut out) to see if they have a match. Trying to track down OEM leather would probably end up costing too much due to the amount you would have to buy.

Quick Reply: Anyone Recover / Re-Leather their Shifter knob / boot?