Sponsored by:

OT: Porsche museum experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OT: Porsche museum experience

I'm vacationing through Germany in Sept and while making my way through the wine regions I wanted to stop at the Porsche museum. This my last stop via train from Baden Baden on the way to Munich for O-fest . I wanted know how much time allotment should be made to tour it on my own. Arriving in the morning and leaving same day to Munich. I know this is subjective but I also don't know how extensive the exhibits are.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I was there last month. Cruised through the museum in about an hour. I'm not one to sit and reflect for minutes on every display. Try to get an appointment to do the factory tour. The museum and tour combined make the trip worth it. Museum opens at 9am, English speaking factory tour starts at 10am and lasts about 2 hours. Then when you are done hop back onto the S-Bahn (S6) back to the Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof, hop on the S1 and get off at the Neckarpark stop and hit up the Mercedes museum. I spent about 3 hours in that museum. By train it's only 15 minutes between the 2 museums.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice Van!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 AM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if you take the audio tour and read all info 2 hours should suffice. The restaurant in the museum is worth an extra hour.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-track
Even if you take the audio tour and read all info 2 hours should suffice. The restaurant in the museum is worth an extra hour.
Thanks. Just checked the schedule for the factory tour, and it's only Tues-Thurs. I'll be there Friday
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Van1
Drifting

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Thanks. Just checked the schedule for the factory tour, and it's only Tues-Thurs. I'll be there Friday
Rearrange your schedule.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 AM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there last fall and went through - I would say 2 hours for a good tour. Bring your PCA card for discounted admission. If you have the time, the Mercedes museum is also in Stutgart and well worth the time if your wife can stand it. Mine stayed in the car and read her book for the Mercedes museum. We rented a car too, which gave some flexibility to the schedule, plus made for some autobahn time. You have the same Garmin as me - I have a chip with all of Europe on it if you'd like to borrow it. Worked great for us.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Between the factory tour, the Porsche Museum, and lunch at the museum, we spent 5 hours.

On another day, I spent 3 hours at the Mercedes museum. My wife spent that morning bird watching.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

A couple of hours should allow you to see everything.

If possible, be sure to be there when they open in the morning. There will be less people so, if you want to take photos, there will be cars in them instead of an assortment of tourists' backsides...

Have fun!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:59 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good advise here... The merc museum is worth the trip, would make a great day...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:03 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done the factory tour, porsche and Mercedes museums and also Miele Werk is very cool. I spent a couple hours in the Porsche museum, but my friend used to work at Porsche and had a lot of great stories to share about some of the cars in there, some he had worked on.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Van1
Drifting

If you all have spouses that don't enjoy the car museum stuff, drop them off at the Stuttgart main train station. There are miles of little shops and cafes right out the front of the station. Should keep them entertained for hours.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:44 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbarracl
I was there last fall and went through - I would say 2 hours for a good tour. Bring your PCA card for discounted admission. If you have the time, the Mercedes museum is also in Stutgart and well worth the time if your wife can stand it. Mine stayed in the car and read her book for the Mercedes museum. We rented a car too, which gave some flexibility to the schedule, plus made for some autobahn time. You have the same Garmin as me - I have a chip with all of Europe on it if you'd like to borrow it. Worked great for us.
Thanks Scott. I will take you up on the garmin chip. Anytime this weekend I can meet you.

Originally Posted by Van1
If you all have spouses that don't enjoy the car museum stuff, drop them off at the Stuttgart main train station. There are miles of little shops and cafes right out the front of the station. Should keep them entertained for hours.
Fortunately, I'm solo this part of the trip, but have to be in Munich sometime on Friday to check in and meet up with my BIL and FIL.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:19 PM
sbarracl
Racer

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Thanks Scott. I will take you up on the garmin chip. Anytime this weekend I can meet you.

I'm around all weekend. Give me a call.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

BMW Welt in Munich is worth a look, too! As is the Deutsches Museum. Anyone been there lately ('99 for me)? They had the driveline of a 959 hanging on a wall.

Quick Reply: OT: Porsche museum experience