Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my car, hate my current A/C (& other problems). Is our A/C this expensive 2 fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 210 Posts

For once I agree with Quadcammer....

1st World Problems.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider purchasing one of the 993 books. I have the one by Adrian Steather and I think it's decent enough to at least help you be more aware when discussing the mechanicals.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Steve, I have had untold A/C problems on my '95 and feel like I know our systems very well by now (yet haven't decided to do the evaporator replace yet). I think your mechanic should have been able to rectify your a/c problems by this point..be worth finding an independent shop, not necessarily a Porsche shop, that specializes in auto A/C. At that point I feel it would still be necessary for them to learn a little about our car's systems's ideosycracies such as lower refridgerant requirements etc... There are a couple of threads/websites that anyone working on our cars a/c would do well to read: http://www.porschehvac.bergvill.com/ is one and the "Complete A/C diagnosis" thread posted by BS911 (use search) is another. If an A/C mechanic reads both of those and still can't get your car's A/C system to work then I think he's shooting blanks. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve - do not feel about about spending the $$$$ to get the A/C working right. I do a lot of DIY work on my 95 993 cab, but I don't touch the A/C, not my cup of tea. 5 years ago it was the evaporator, then it was the compressor, then it was the expansion valve, then finally some flap failed which required a second removal of the gas tank to get to it to fix it. For awhile I had a really cold trunk, LOL!!!!! It works out to about a grand a year for the last 5 years and for this I now have 45 degree air. I have considered the same 997 vs. 993 question and for now I am firmly in the 993 camp. Nothing compares to the 993 for me! Hang in there and get that air working right!!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe I'm made of harder stuff, and there's few places hotter than SoCal in the summer, but I think in the 7 years my 993 has been my daily driver, I've used the A/C only a few times.

Opening both windows and driving provides enough breeze to keep me cool on all but the hottest of days.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Maybe I'm made of harder stuff, and there's few places hotter than SoCal in the summer, but I think in the 7 years my 993 has been my daily driver, I've used the A/C only a few times.

Opening both windows and driving provides enough breeze to keep me cool on all but the hottest of days.
If you lived in DC in the summer, you'd be using A/C pretty much every day. It's 87% humidity today and stays that way a lot here. We had weeks at a time that was in the high 90's and low 100's with stifling humidity. When my A/C was out a few weeks ago when it was 102, I was dripping wet just driving to appts.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
If you lived in DC in the summer, you'd be using A/C pretty much every day. It's 87% humidity today and stays that way a lot here. We had weeks at a time that was in the high 90's and low 100's with stifling humidity. When my A/C was out a few weeks ago when it was 102, I was dripping wet just driving to appts.
Ah, humidity. Yeah, maybe you're right. It gets over 100 here all the time in the summer, but we rarely have high humidity.

So, what's worse? Dripping wet or dropping $4K on your A/C? Summer's almost over, so maybe you could put this off til next year?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Ah, humidity. Yeah, maybe you're right. It gets over 100 here all the time in the summer, but we rarely have high humidity.

So, what's worse? Dripping wet or dropping $4K on your A/C? Summer's almost over, so maybe you could put this off til next year?
Yes, I'm seriously thinking of putting it off till next year so when I look at my running dollar total for the year it doesn't creep up much from where it is now.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Goofball, I lived in LA for awhile and there's absolutely NO comparison to SoCal weather and conditions in DC or Houston. When humidity here in Houston rises above 70%, which happens pretty much every day in the summer, you can be soaking wet in the matter of a few stoplights. If you have to use your 993 for a business meeting, in the summer, without A/C, you're going to be miserable.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Yes, I'm seriously thinking of putting it off till next year so when I look at my running dollar total for the year it doesn't creep up much from where it is now.
What is this...a numbers game? Are you an accountant for your 993? Did your boss order you to delay expenses until next year for your shareholders?

Once again, if you don't want to pay the money so that your running total of expenses for the year doesn't creep up, you are in denial and you need to find a different car.

No wonder you complain all the time about spending money on it, you're treating it like a financial entity.

I'm sure I'll get called an *******, but here goes:

There are 2 types of people who should own an older german car (much less two):

1. A relatively skilled DIY'er that can handle most repair and maintenance themselves.
2. A guy who can write a check for x,xxx and not bat an eyelash.

You don't seem to be either, so you may really want to give hard thought to selling both cars and getting an under warranty cayman or something.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

I live in DC, actually a few miles from Steve, and have used my AC maybe 5 or 6 times in my ownership. Then again I haven't been driving her daily....
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Maybe I'm made of harder stuff.
Try 100F with a full Gortex motorcycle suit on and then add in high humidity as a bonus.

I think many of us use the A/C to keep us from sweating on our leather seats and even then my shirt back is damp.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
What is this...a numbers game? Are you an accountant for your 993? Did your boss order you to delay expenses until next year for your shareholders?

Once again, if you don't want to pay the money so that your running total of expenses for the year doesn't creep up, you are in denial and you need to find a different car.

No wonder you complain all the time about spending money on it, you're treating it like a financial entity.

I'm sure I'll get called an *******, but here goes:

There are 2 types of people who should own an older german car (much less two):

1. A relatively skilled DIY'er that can handle most repair and maintenance themselves.
2. A guy who can write a check for x,xxx and not bat an eyelash.

You don't seem to be either, so you may really want to give hard thought to selling both cars and getting an under warranty cayman or something.
Should? Should own an older german car? Says who? You? I'm not either of those 2 guys you have listed and I LOVE owning my 993. Why all the venom? Yes, I've delayed this response till now because I thought I wouldn't feed into your negativity but after re-reading it again today, it's time to say something.

Hey, I'm not calling you an *******, but it was a pretty lame response to this thread. Tsk, tsk...

And, if I want to put off my expenses till next year and fix stuff then instead of this year, and that makes sense to me, then hell yeah I'll do it! Why the heck would you or anyone else have a problem with that?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 PM
993/907
Pro

Steve, I've paid several thousand in the last few years to bring the HVAC system back to life.
I gulp when I open the VISA bill, and I have forced myself to learn a bit about the system, but consider it part of the rite-of-ownership.
Best part is that now most of the system is working well and it feels great to have good heat and ventilation again.
After 17 years of ownership I have yet to yearn for any other car.....there's something about these 993's.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993/907
Steve, I've paid several thousand in the last few years to bring the HVAC system back to life.
I gulp when I open the VISA bill, and I have forced myself to learn a bit about the system, but consider it part of the rite-of-ownership.
Best part is that now most of the system is working well and it feels great to have good heat and ventilation again.
After 17 years of ownership I have yet to yearn for any other car.....there's something about these 993's.
Thanks for your reply. Interestingly enough, the A/C unit in my house ended up dying today, too. Awesome. Will have to get a new outside A/C unit (possible 2). Having a huge party in 2 hours with 50+ people, it's 85 degrees out with no A/C. The Heating/Cooling guy is coming over in a few to give it one last charge so the party is at least manageable (apparently it's leaking out quickly) and then I'll have to replace these units ASAP.

Quick Reply: Love my car, hate my current A/C (& other problems). Is our A/C this expensive 2 fix?