Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSR vs. GT2 please educate me

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one last point is prep work for painting. You have to really prep the flares well. The fiberglass tends to have pin holes and needs a good baking on the primer coat. We had 3 "redos" when the paint looked perfect, but after the clear hardened in the booth small imperfections popped up.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
From my experience there are 3 different kits for the car and they are all different. (GT2 kit is different than the RSR flares)

Clubsport flares will fit on a NB car and you can stretch the existing fr/rear bumpers to fit with these.

GT2 will work but you are starting to push the fitment and the nose will not line up very well. A new front bumper and a turbo rear bumper help the fitment.
The RSR flares are much more aggressive and require a bit of work to get fitment. The EVO bumpers fit better with the GT2 and RSR front flares.

I used clubsport and had to modify the front bumper a bit to have it line up properly. Whichever flare you go with get the matching rocker panel for the side or it will look pretty bad. Easiest way to get good fitment is to mount the rocker panel first then align each flare starting at where it connects to the rocker. Other key point is you must upgrade to EVO uprights and widen the front track or the handling will suffer. Changing the front offset is not the way to push the wheels out. I have seen plenty of cars where this has been done and for street cruising you will not notice the difference, but for racing or heavy track use it is required.
Originally Posted by bobt993
one last point is prep work for painting. You have to really prep the flares well. The fiberglass tends to have pin holes and needs a good baking on the primer coat. We had 3 "redos" when the paint looked perfect, but after the clear hardened in the booth small imperfections popped up.
Thanks for the insight Bob!! Appreciated!

Some notes:

1. I have turbo front bumper (I believe) with the RSCS/GT splitters
2. I have a turbo rear bumber I can use
3. I already have the EVO uprights installed on the car

I am considering buying a GT2 EVO1 front bumper from Getty, because it looks very good (better than the GT2 street bumper/splitters)

What you say about prep work for painting fiberglass is very true. And this will show the difference between a quality producer and a cheap alternative. The parts I got from Getty (RS 3.8 wing and the splitters) were excellent quality, whereas the GT2 wing I just bought from Poland required several redos, as you put it.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Listen to Bob.. he knows of what he speaks with regard to the 993. He pretty much guided me through my widebody conversion.

With regard to tire/wheel sizes, this is what a 315/35/18 (11.5" x 18" wheel) looks like on the car before the flares were added.

cutting the fenders/quarters is a peice of cake with the right tools (be sure to purchase a lot of spare blades)

you can get a stock front bumper to stretch/mate up with the clubsport flares... but it doesn't look great and doesn't provide matched aero for the wing/tails that you'll likely add to the car

stock rear bumper can be stretched as well without too much drama.

With reference to the front bumper, Bob has the EvoI bumper and I have the EvoII. In my opinion, the EvoII looks better, and has a bit slippier aero. however, bob's has better functional cooling to his front oil coolers (but it did require a tremendous amount of fabrication).

Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks mr. Ninja!

I have read your build topic several times. Nice work!!
So you have GT racing parts, are they clubsport, rsr or gt2 width? Was your car nb or wb to begon with? What size tires and rima are you running up front?
Thanks!

Juha
Old 09-20-2012, 06:29 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Front bumper is getty... flares and decklid gt racing... banana wing i bought on the forum. Wheels are the same as bob. 18x10 front with 275/35/18 r6s. Rears are 11.5x 18 with 315/30/18 tires. Fronts are really tight fit. Try to maximize clearance of the flares on the front edge of the front tires by "pinching" the flares as you install them. We actuallu ended uo drilling a second set of holes along the front edge of the front flares as the clearance wasn't great... this resulted in a bit of mismatch on the front bumper (which was corrected pretty easily by grinding a recess on the mating surface of the bumper)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:30 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Sorry... they are clubsport flares
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was that built on a NB or WB? If Im not mestaken your car is a 4S> it is so amazing
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Nb

Quick Reply: RSR vs. GT2 please educate me