Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn sounds during firm braking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:46 AM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Horn sounds during firm braking.

Having an issue with the horn sounding when I brake firmly ie near the end of the brake lever travel. Whats going on?

Chris
Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 709 Likes on 340 Posts

Could be the air bag horn mounting bracket my horn went off at all different times, mounting bracket changed no more false horn notes. It is a pretty easy DIY
Rich
Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 AM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

thanks Rich, is there a how to somewhere for this proceedure?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 709 Likes on 340 Posts

If you have a 1995 procedure is below you will need to repair the rubber gromets as new horn ring is a problem getting, if you have a 1996 or newer as I do you can simply buy a new horn ring, I think I paid $62 for mine and follow procedure but replace ring not repair gromets.
Rich

you'll need to disassemble the air bag unit from the steering wheel first. Scary stuff, that is. I dissconnected the battery first and let the car sit for 5 mins just in case. Not sure this is really necessary, but I read it somewhere and thought it better to be safe.

The next step is to dissconnect the air bag unit from the steering wheel. There are two torx screws/bolts on the back side of the steering wheel. They are accessed through two holes. This is the hardest part of the fix. I don't recall the size of the torx screws, and in the end, I used a similar sized allen wrench that was approx 6 inches long to get to the screws (they are embedded). If you turn your steering wheel about 20 degrees, it helps with getting access to them, but it still a bit of a contortion to see what you're doing.

Once the screws/bolts are removed, the air bag can be pulled forward far enough towards you (the rear of the car) so you can disconnect the red coupling behind the bag. Not that it would have mattered, but I try to do that without being in the direct path of the bag if for some reason it decided to go off. Can't imagine why it would, but better to be safe. When you put the air bag aside, make sure to place the metal side down on some non-conductive surface. If the other direction, should the bag go off, it'll launch itself into the air and into anyone/thing around it.

Once the air bag wires are dissconnected, you should now be looking at the air bag retaining bracket. Four bolts hold it in place which slide thru the metal ring/rubber grommets in each corner of the bracket. You'll also see where the retaining bracket metal comes in contact with points attached to the steering wheel. When the retaining bracket contacts the points, the horn sounds. When the rubber gets worn, it looses its elasticity and the metal points just rest on the bracket.

the rubber hose fix was just what I had laying around...anything hollow and rubber, approx the same size as the grommet will work. I tested it a few times (which meant I needed to reconnect the battery) and it worked fine. Then disconnected the bat and reattached the air bag unit.

course reattached the battery. My CR-1 stereo needed the security code since it was powered down and was able to obtain the code from a local dealer just by providing my VIN.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

this has been discussed many times.

do a search on horn and you'll get plenty of reading on the fix.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:03 PM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

Thanks v much, it's a 95 tip s. My initial search gave me 996 related fix's will try harder next time , may get the answer before asking a dumb question.

chris
Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

you can search the 993 forum only...top right of the thread list under "search this forum".

gives more targeted results.

good luck with the fix.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 106 Posts

Just did this fix last week. Took less than an hour...
Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

So...airbag off, airbag carrier and grommits look ok but there is one wire free (looks broken) as seen in the center of my poor picture.Where should this connect to?

Chris

Last edited by 928S4DUBAI; 07-25-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Horn sounds during firm braking.