Sponsored by:

265/40/18 in the rear? Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 265/40/18 in the rear? Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R

I would like to try out the new Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R semislicks but they don't sell them here in Finland. I found a place in UK where I could purchase these tires but they only carry 265/40/18 for the rear? That is about 1-1/2" taller than 285/30/18. Will that work or should I just continue looking for the correct size?

Any track experience with the Trofeos?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I would post this in the racer / DE forum. I would try to get the Nitto NT01 if they are just a track tire. They are DOT legal in the US but I assume not in Europe.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

The last thing you (we) need is even higher gearing. A 265/40 sounds like a bad idea, especially when compared with a desireable 285/30 that's even shorter than a stock 25" OD. Can't imagine the Trofeo is worth the hassle -it's expensive, and not really a very popular tire on the whole.

You may also want to stick with a tire that's more readily available to you locally. I have had a few screws in rear tires the last 2 summers - I would hate to be stranded, unless I had a second set of wheels shod with good tires ready to go.

As suggested above, the NT-01 is probably a great and inexpensive option.

Good luck!

Best,

Matt
Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Some clarifications

I’m looking for the fastest street legal (in Europe) tire. The Trofeo R just won the EVO magazine test with all semi slick brands.
I would like to try it out but there is no importer for that tire in Finland. Ordering from UK, Germany etc. is no problem for me.
Regarding the taller tire, because I have extensively shortened gear ratios and the supercharger, I don’t think that would be a problem. I’m more worried about the fitment.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Why not do a little more shopping, they do come in the sizes you will want
225/40 x18
265/35 x18
There was one fellow around here than ran them on a Cayman a few years ago, AFAIR he liked them, but they are expensive, he now runs Hoosiers

How did they compare to MPSC in the test?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Some clarifications

I’m looking for the fastest street legal (in Europe) tire. The Trofeo R just won the EVO magazine test with all semi slick brands.
I would like to try it out but there is no importer for that tire in Finland. Ordering from UK, Germany etc. is no problem for me.
Regarding the taller tire, because I have extensively shortened gear ratios and the supercharger, I don’t think that would be a problem. I’m more worried about the fitment.
Makes sense based on your criteria of a fast street tire (like a MPSC). If it was me however, and having a street rated tire was in fact paramount, not sure I'd care about every last tenth of lap time. Especially spending on a tire that is going to heat-cycle out.

As for the gearing, and having just rebuilt and re-geared my tran$mission, I'll be damned if I am going to run tall tires!

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Why not do a little more shopping, they do come in the sizes you will want
225/40 x18
265/35 x18
There was one fellow around here than ran them on a Cayman a few years ago, AFAIR he liked them, but they are expensive, he now runs Hoosiers

How did they compare to MPSC in the test?
Back to performance, probably faster and more balanced with a 235 (or wider)front. And to your point, if speed matters, there are many faster tires out there.

Sounds like the street rating is the issue here.

Good luck!

Best,

Matt
Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Makes sense based on your criteria of a fast street tire (like a MPSC). If it was me however, and having a street rated tire was in fact paramount, not sure I'd care about every last tenth of lap time. Especially spending on a tire that is going to heat-cycle out.

As for the gearing, and having just rebuilt and re-geared my tran$mission, I'll be damned if I am going to run tall tires!

Back to performance, probably faster and more balanced with a 235 (or wider)front. And to your point, if speed matters, there are many faster tires out there.

Sounds like the street rating is the issue here.

Good luck!

Best,

Matt
225 on 8.5 works great for me, sways are all neutral, 225 on 8 understeered a tad

265 on 10 in back

Quick Reply: 265/40/18 in the rear? Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R