Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why have a second oil cooler? Does it really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I have put two 16 row MoCal's(FVD GT2 Kit) in the turbo and the RS clone has a factory turbo "S" secondary oil cooler. My 77' that has a 98'Vram in it is cooled by Elephant Racing's dual fender setup with finned oil lines.
In May 2004 Excellence magazine had a question in the Tech Notes section named "993 Valve Guide Problem"(starts on page 18). In their answer they stated "The blockage usually consists of coked oil residue." They go on to state " Most of the cases have occurred in the warmer climates, when the cars also have a lot of city driving.These conditions produce extra heat and can create the right conditions to overheat the engine's oil in this area and then cause the coking." Reading this and living in South Florida I asked my mechanic what can be done to help prevent this problem. He proceeded to tell me that installing a secondary oil cooler was the best option. That is when I had the extra coolers installed.The RS clone now has 60k more miles(88k total milage)on it and no CEL issues. Four months ago I had Dan Jacobs pull the engine for a plethora of work I wanted done.I asked him to do a leak down test at that time to see what condition the internals were in.The results were amazing. Cyl 1- 2% Cyl 2- 1% Cyl 3-1% Cyl 4-2% Cyl 5-1% Cyl 6- 0%. I believe keeping the oil from ever getting over 200deg is the reason I have such a strong running CEL free 993. I am a firm believer in the benefits of a secondary oil cooler.The proof is in the pudding.
It sounds like an aux oil cooler will prevent the CEL issues associated with OBII 993s. Is this what they are saying? Is it worth ordering that back issue Excellence (do they have more info)?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default No CEL

87,000 miles, no CEL...with stock mufflers and a stock cat putting out 260 HP to the rear wheels....loving my Ruf cooler, and ever grateful to Viper Bob for installing it, back in the day.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:21 AM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What's the easiest way to access the OE oil cooler to clean the fins and such? I'm assuming it's behind one of the wheel liners in the front?

-Andy
Old 07-08-2016, 06:45 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes behind the front wheel liner. No real good way without pulling front bumper off to spray water or whatever through.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Before I went to the Ruf unit, I tried the Turbo S cooler...close to worthless, it is too small to be effective for California summer heat. Once the Ruf went in, all worries disappeared. As Bill mentioned, Cargraphics has a cooler too.
I found the opposite. I installed the Turbo S cooler and noticed a a very nice drop in temp. I also had the large, stock cooler professionally cleaned (which after 20 years is not a bad idea).

I'm in Phoenix and felt it was a worthwhile addition. For those of you familiar, there is a brutal climb north of Phoenix (I-17) that claims all sorts of cars in the heat of summer. The Turbo S cooler made a difference on that hill as well.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Revision to my original post where I indicated...

The Turbo S cooler just didn't make much of a difference in my situation...its surface area pales by comparison with the Ruf, Cargraphics too. But if the Turbo S cooler works in Phoenix, great.

"I have a RLC datas logger that monitors oil temperature and oil pressure. When the oil temp gets to my pre-set initial warning temp, the digital oil temp read out numbers turn red...when the #'s go critical (I believe I have set 260 Degrees F as critical), the dash goes red...thankfully I have only seen my stage one pre-set of 220 once."

OK, that was in 2008...since then RLC (Thankfully) has gone belly up. If ant company deserved it, they did. Customer support was non-existent. I got rid of the RLC, a bit before this blessing (Their failure) occurred, about $0.20 on the $1.00. Since then I have had several data loggers, and now have the AiM MXL-2. It is programmed for the dash display to go red,
at temps > 220 degrees F. Since I wrote the original post in 2008, I have yet to see 220, and I do track the car in hot conditions, Thunderhill in August (Never again), talk about hot! In addition Willow Springs and AutoClub California Speedway, bloody hot in the summer months. And lastly, when coming off the track, I usually do a few treks around the parking lot to let the engine and brakes cool down a bit.

Sorry about the mini-hi-jack.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:20 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000m2
It sounds like an aux oil cooler will prevent the CEL issues associated with OBII 993s. Is this what they are saying? Is it worth ordering that back issue Excellence (do they have more info)?

Thanks!
No, this is incorrect. The only thing that will prevent the SAI ports from getting clogged and triggering a CEL is correctly-fitted valve guides. Lots of discussion in the archives on this.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Cargrafic extra cooler on my car when I bought it. It has worked flawlessly. My temp gauge never goes over 9PM even on the hottest humid days or sitting in traffic. I highly recommend it. Heat will ruin an engine quickly.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:49 AM
drb930
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
For street use you 99% probably won't nee a second cooler, for track use you 95% probably will need one

You can use a second stock one behind or replacing the A/C condenser but the stock ones are a bit harder to plumb because the I/O ports are on the top.

Ruf/Cargraphic/FVD all sell a kit that was developed for the Cup/RSR race cars, there are 2 versions on has a wider mount for use w/ A/C the other is designed to be used w/o A/C, the A/C unit can also be used w/o A/C

Here is the kit

mounted w/ A/C

having the I/O ports in front makes it much easier to plumb

oe unit

Bill,

Will this aux oil cooler work on a Tip car with A/C also?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by drb930
Bill,

Will this aux oil cooler work on a Tip car with A/C also?

Thanks,
Dave
I'm not at all familiar w/ tip equipped cars but I would guess that the answer is yes. The tips has it's trans cooler sandwiched w/ the engine oil cooler in the right front fender area, that leaves the left side the same as m/t w/ just the AC condenser, This is where the second engine oil cooler would be sandwiched.

Quick Reply: Why have a second oil cooler? Does it really matter?