Sponsored by:

Great tip for softening black / dark leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Is there a proper level of zinc in this said oil? I don't want my seats to wear prematurely.....
No, I think you're gonna want propper phosphorus levels phor the leather.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 661 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
i have used Lexol (Lanolin Based). I put it in a spray bottle and saturate the seat, let it sit overnight and buff in the morning. For really dry seat side bolsters that have shrunken and seem to pull off the hard back seat edges I have unhooked the leather edge and sprayed the back side of the leather. After a couple of applications, the leather becomes saturated and will not absorb any more.

I would advise against using cooking oil such as coconut oil as these oils go rancid over time and I would be concerned about them developing a bad smell. If possibly offered as part of a retail leather treatment I suspect some sort of stabilizer is added to mitigate the issue.
Nope.

Leather is still soft after 5 years. No rancid stink. I don't do well with stink, so it would have been noticed and dealt with.

In my experience, Lexol products are marginal at best. Since treating my seats, I came across Obenauf's products, which are my new favorite for conditioning leather.

If I need to soften hard leather again in the future, its coconut time.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for the tip, Nick.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
What do you guys recommend for dying Black Leather? What are people using recommending? My bolsters could use a little darkening but they are in excellent shape.
I have used black in the tin style shoe polish and then buffed it. After wich I applied an application of neutral /clear shoe polish over it. I see no reason why a liquid leather shoe dye then waxed over wouldn't work for deep cracks.

Andy
Old 03-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I have used black in the tin style shoe polish and then buffed it. After wich I applied an application of neutral /clear shoe polish over it. I see no reason why a liquid leather shoe dye then waxed over wouldn't work for deep cracks.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I was thinking of trying this also.

Quick Reply: Great tip for softening black / dark leather seats