993 Forum 1995-1998

Corner balance....necessary ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Where in my post did I say that corner balancing affected tire wear? What I did say is that we spend a lot of money on tires. There is an enormous number of posts concerning tires. Presumably, we spend this money to improve the car in the way we wish. This could be a better tire for road street in terms of ride quality, noise, tire life, wet performance etc. or track use or some combination. Considering the amount of money spent on tires, spending a much smaller amount on a corner balance to improve your car does not seem to me an
extravagance. If you believe it makes no difference so be it. I stated that since I had other work done at the same time, I didn't know what to attribute to tire balance. I'll try to be more clear in the future.
Chris, I inferred the following quote to mean that there was a some relationship between corner balancing and tire wear. My apologies if I misinterpreted your words.

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Also, compared to the cost of tires and how short their life span, it didn't seem to me much of an extravagance.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, No apology necessary. I did not word my thoughts very clearly....Chris
Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Chris, same here, did not mean to twist your words. My apologies.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, It is no doubt silly that I pay to have this sort of thing done. At my age, I could probably put bias ply tires on and never probe the car's limits. I just love these cars and reading RL seems to make me want to continually lavish money on them. I enjoy your posts, I just wish I could be as clear and succinct.....Chris
Old 08-07-2012, 02:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, I drive like a grandma on teh street, so I understand exactly what you are saying.

Looking at Excel file with all my parts purchases for 993... I also understand about spending money on 993 :-)
Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Late to the game here but....

- If changing the tires....don't need corner balance.

- If changing suspension components or altering suspension settings like ride height...definitely NEED corner balance.

How can corner balance affect street driving? When my car was not properly balanced (although ride height and alignment done), it would lock up the right front tires when braking somewhat hard. The suspension weight distro was jacked that the right front tire was carrying too much weight. Ride quality also went to crap since the right front tire had excessive weight and rear left had too little.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Late to the game here but....

- If changing the tires....don't need corner balance.

- If changing suspension components or altering suspension settings like ride height...definitely NEED corner balance.

How can corner balance affect street driving? When my car was not properly balanced (although ride height and alignment done), it would lock up the right front tires when braking somewhat hard. The suspension weight distro was jacked that the right front tire was carrying too much weight. Ride quality also went to crap since the right front tire had excessive weight and rear left had too little.
How far out was it? I've competed in (yes, merely time trial as there was no wheel-to-wheel Porsche stuff back then) 911s that I've later found to be ~3% cross, and it hasn't been that much of a problem. And torsion bar chassis cars that didn't have ABS.

Even when we'd screw around with wedge to run on the oval at PIR, the braking wasn't that bad on the interior road course. Back then best you would be running was a 225 all around, with as much camber at possible.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axl911
When my car was not properly balanced (although ride height and alignment done), it would lock up the right front tires when braking somewhat hard.
Is your ABS non-operational?

Quick Reply: Corner balance....necessary ?