Sponsored by:

Burnt fuel smell in cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 AM
jamesh
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt fuel smell in cabin?

Recently I've noticed a smell of partially burnt fuel in the cabin of my 993. It's not super-stong but definately there to some degree.

My wife is pregnant at the moment so it got me a little paranoid that it may not be the best thing..

Just wondering if anyone else has this experience and if it's anything to worry about.

Appreciate any thoughts
Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Was your heat on? Maybe have your heat exchangers checked for cracks.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesh
Recently I've noticed a smell of partially burnt fuel in the cabin of my 993. It's not super-stong but definitely there to some degree.
Burnt fuel or possibly burnt oil?

If your valve covers are leaking oil, they drip onto the tops of your heat exchangers. Some of that oil can make it into the insides of the heat exchanger and when it does, you will get the smell of hot/burnt oil into your cabin, depending on what extent you have the heat on.

If that is the case, you will have to remove the heat exchangers and flush the insides out with a water based degreaser. My heat exchangers were coated with oil internally when I got my 993 but are spotlessly clean now. I replaced all valve cover seals and everything has been bone-dry since.

Last edited by IXLR8; 08-05-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM
HFDesignworks
Instructor

Agree. Check the valve covers. This was my issue with a faint burnt oil smell in the cabin as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 AM
jamesh
Cruisin'

Thanks guys - not using the heater at the moment, but a/c full blast all the time.

The smell could also be burnt oil - I will check the valve covers and heat exchangers..
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesh
The smell could also be burnt oil - I will check the valve covers and heat exchangers..
With the engine at ambient temperature, run your fingers over the tops of the heat exchanger jackets.

If you remove the 90 degree rubber hoses that attach to the top of the heat exchangers, a trouble light and mirror will tell if you have an oil film within the heat exchangers.

And if you suspect an exhaust leak into the cabin, you can get CO indicators at safety supply and pilot supply shops.

***Of course with the A/C on full blast, I would check the luggage compartment for a fuel leak or odor. It could even be the battery gassing.***

Quick Reply: Burnt fuel smell in cabin?