993 Forum 1995-1998

Fixed My LWF Stalling Problem - New ISV

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exception is not the norm...

Those who have experienced stalling can probably relate to my quote from over 3 years ago.

"Is my car going to stall...is my car going to stall.....clutch in....ok above 3000 rpms push clutch in......or is is it 3500rpms....push clutch in....fast or slow....maybe its slow....push in slow or fast......****, I just pushed in at 2850rpms, is it gonna stall.....rev car a little........oh no, rpms dipping......red alert, red alert, turn stero down, examine dash.....ok, I made it 2 blocks from my house...no stalls, things are going goood.......next stoplight in 300 yards.....prepare self,.....here comes stoplight..........rewind....back to chapter 1, page 1...............Is my car going to stall...is my car going to stall..........clutch in..............."
Old 08-04-2012, 12:29 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Where are Steve W. and Steve W. in this conversation?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Exception is not the norm...

Those who have experienced stalling can probably relate to my quote from over 3 years ago.

"Is my car going to stall...is my car going to stall.....clutch in....ok above 3000 rpms push clutch in......or is is it 3500rpms....push clutch in....fast or slow....maybe its slow....push in slow or fast......****, I just pushed in at 2850rpms, is it gonna stall.....rev car a little........oh no, rpms dipping......red alert, red alert, turn stero down, examine dash.....ok, I made it 2 blocks from my house...no stalls, things are going goood.......next stoplight in 300 yards.....prepare self,.....here comes stoplight..........rewind....back to chapter 1, page 1...............Is my car going to stall...is my car going to stall..........clutch in..............."
Again, your poll showed that over one quarter of all '95 owners do not have stalling issues with the LWF.

I was going to quote you in the thread that mongrelcat posted, but decided against it. However, since you brought up your own post, I'll also quote this one from you:

I havent stalled in a 3 or 4 months worth of driving. After about 5 years of a LWF, I just gave up trying to resolve the ocassional stall. Its like the common cold in my opinion---there is no cure. If there was a cure, it wouldnt be a topic of discussion any more.
I daresay your close-minded approach is willing the car to stall in order to cause you to think/not think/think/not think about it.

I would say that the 30 percent who dont stall didnt include 15% who wont admit it or never saw the thread. Unless you have been downI the path, you cant relate. I had no clue what a MFW was back in 2004---I was a young 34 old who wanted a cool car with a bunch of bells and whistles. The last thing I could give a crap about was changing my oil or worring about a stall.
I absolutely knew you were going to say that part of the 30% were incorrect or lying , but I didn't want to be accused of putting words in your mouth. Since you have gone ahead and fulfilled that prophecy, just remember that it was your poll results and that 15% of people have not had an issue.

You also can't say that a portion of the people who said that they didn't stall were wrong, while 100% of the people who said that they had stalled are all correct. Moreover, how does missing your poll only affect the results of the respondents who never stalled? The percentages are based on the people who responded, not the entire population of Rennlisters or the total number of 993 owners.

Like I said, you've lost a great deal of objectivity on this.

Oh, full disclosure: my car stalls from time to time, but it's just not a big deal to me. Maybe that's why I haven't had it stall in over four years; sounds like the ghosts gave up on me and decided to haunt you since it bugs you so much.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Where are Steve W. and Steve W. in this conversation?
See post 29.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Steve Weiner---Wednesday August 16th, 2006 at 303pm MST. 15,000 miles after my LFW install.

Re: The occassional Stall with LWF

Aye aye, Sir.

> Thats idle stabizler valve I take it?
>
>
>> From: Steve Weiner <porsche@rennsportsystems.com>
>> To: CARTER WILLIAMSON <cwilliamson1@msn.com>
>> Subject: Re: The occassional Stall with LWF
>> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:02:53 -0700
>>
>> Hi Carter:
>>
>> Clean out that ISV.
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> My 95 C4 is starting to mature a little more. 56,800
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Steve Weiner
>> Rennsport Systems
>> Portland, Oregon
>> 503.244.0990
>> E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
>>
>> For Porsche High-Performance Parts, Upgrades, Racing Components and
>> Performance-related Information, Visit Rennsport Systems on the
>> Internet at:
>> http://www.rennsportsystems.com
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Steve Weiner
Rennsport Systems
Portland, Oregon
E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com

For Porsche High-Performance Parts, Upgrades, Racing Components and Performance-related Information, Visit Rennsport Systems on the Internet at:
http://www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 08-04-2012, 12:53 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

A failure rate of 70% (give or take whatever percent) is a very high percentage. A 30% success rate on a product equals failure in the real world. Regardless of whatever you can toss out, it doesnt have any grounds to stand on. Get the statistic down under 5%, you have my attention. I havent seen the stats change much since 2004. Find me anything with 70% failure rate with 50% satisfaction rate and I will buy it.

God bless those with 95's and no stalling issues. You are the exception, not the norm!

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Again, your poll showed that over one quarter of all '95 owners do not have stalling issues with the LWF.

I was going to quote you in the thread that mongrelcat posted, but decided against it. However, since you brought up your own post, I'll also quote this one from you:

I daresay your close-minded approach is willing the car to stall in order to cause you to think/not think/think/not think about it.

I absolutely knew you were going to say that part of the 30% were incorrect or lying , but I didn't want to be accused of putting words in your mouth. Since you have gone ahead and fulfilled that prophecy, just remember that it was your poll results and that 15% of people have not had an issue.

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 08-04-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:02 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

How do you know your ISV was working *perfectly*?
Originally Posted by mongrelcat
New ISV observations for a '95 owner with a LWF...https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ith-a-lwf.html
+1 to all of the above

Many variables around this issue. Perhaps too many for the interwebz to handle
The ISV is absolutely a wear item and it's weaknesses are exposed on 95s with a LWF
Old 08-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Do you have a LFW and a 95? If you do and dont stall, great. If you dont, you have no ground to stand on.
LOL. Good gosh, man, it's no wonder you missed the Andial MWF threads from four years prior to you becoming a member. Not only have I posted in your polling thread that I have a LWF, not only have I started my own thread and my own poll about the LWF, not only have I posted in at least five threads involving the LWF, (everyone of which you have posted in, too), but the year of my car has been in my signature for, oh, I don't know, ten years.

Yep, I gots a '95.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

A failure rate of 70% (give or take whatever percent) is a very high percentage. A 30% success rate on a product equals failure in the real world. Regardless of whatever you can toss out, it doesnt have any grounds to stand on. Get the statistic down under 5%, you have my attention. I havent seen the stats change much since 2004. Find me anything with 70% failure rate with 50% satisfaction rate and I will buy it.

God bless those with 95's and no stalling issues. You are the exception, not the norm!
Ummm, might I suggest installing a new ISV valve since 100% of the people who posted here with '95's and the LWF who changed the valve had clear success? I think no matter how much attention is drawn to this, you will find some excuse to refute the truth. This is really quite odd since I think the answer lies before you, yet you are doing everything in your power to ignore it.

Why is your mind so closed?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Added a helpful hint to my sig in case you forget again.

Just having some fun...
Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

LOL. Good gosh, man, it's no wonder you missed the Andial MWF threads from four years prior to you becoming a member. Not only have I posted in your polling thread that I have a LWF, not only have I started my own thread and my own poll about the LWF, not only have I posted in at least five threads involving the LWF, (everyone of which you have posted in, too), but the year of my car has been in my signature for, oh, I don't know, ten years. Yep, I gots a '95.
I thought Andial was out of business--after the fact. I didnt know Andial from Jack Daniels back when I was 33---in 2004. I can design a network and sell a solution but I couldnt tell you how to pop the hood of a 993 in 2004. My buddy who test drove the 993 before I bought it, I gave this advice.

"Beat the **** out of it and drive it like you stole it. Let me know if it gives you a woody and I'll buy it." I bought it.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:48 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LWF Stalling Problems & are you sure you used the right color?!!...https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ght-color.html

Originally Posted by TargaTango

As to the stalling, this has not continued to improve and is still problematic. I confirmed that my shop had cleaned the ISV. I spoke with Colin Belton of 9M and he referred me to a procedure to increase the amount of air taken in by the ISV that would be detailed on Rennlist. Sure enough it is:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=isv+screw

I asked my shop to replace the ISV as Colin believed that a new one would respond faster than my old one, and to make this adjustment. Colin also recommended resetting the base parameters of ECU using Porsche System Tester.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Added a helpful hint to my sig in case you forget again.

Just having some fun...
I figured your race car would have a LWF.

I love a good debate and by no means has it been proven there is a true and real fix for stalling on the LWF and 95's. Every wrench out there today should be doing a LWF with a ISV combo. In 8 years, 3 mechanics---not one said I should get an ISV---these are good mechanics. They know the LWF is problematic. Maybe since I live at 5000 feet above sea level has an affect with the stalling vs. those who live at sea level? Less oxygen here....no there is a theory.

Today is Bronco day---another trip to the shop up around Park City---dropped about $3k fixing everything and adding a 23 gal steel fuel tank. Developed an axle leak after having all the work done about a month ago.

And no, Im not putting a LWF in my Bronco!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard the ultimate LWF solution is going to a Motronics replacement ECU as opposed to just using a chip.
Not sure what the cost is on that, but the gained adjustability and Hp from an aftermarket ECU would be a no-brainer for me if I was doing a LWF on a track car. For a street car you can even run tandem computers (I think CupCar is doing this) so you can pass smog with the flip of a switch.
Should I be ducking?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
matt777
Drifting

Just get a LWF. You know you really want one

Quick Reply: Fixed My LWF Stalling Problem - New ISV