Sponsored by:

Bilstein vs. Monroe vs Koni FSD - interesting write-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nevermind. Spent more time searching.

Thanks for the good info on the shocks, Bill!

Last edited by callipygian 911; 01-24-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
BLT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill Verburg said:
All the modern Bilsteins come w/ digressive valving all the the older designs w/ linear. If you have older mono tube shocks they can be redone to modern spec for a very reasonable cost, twin tubes cannot be rebuilt.

As far as I know all Bilstein hd are linear from the factory, they are old school designs.
Okay - this has been a GREAT thread.

I have Bilstein HDs and M033s installed by the PO within the past year or so. The height is awesome. But in my location the local roads are ****e. And I-5 between here and Seattle go from sweet blacktop to the worst roads imaginable at 50mph+, especially the closer you get to SEA.

Based on this thread I'm seriously considering the Koni FSDs. I say seriously because it's expensive and I'd be replacing almost new Bilstein HDs which makes me feel a bit picky. But with the Targa roof I'm particularly worried about stress on the car from road bashing.

Subjective Questions:

1. Would the ride height change much?

2. Would the "crashyness" go away on crappy roads, at least somewhat noticeably?

3. Would I be able to re-sell the Bilsteins even though they are used (less than 1K miles on them for sure).

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 AM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT
Bill Verburg said:

Okay - this has been a GREAT thread.

I have Bilstein HDs and M033s installed by the PO within the past year or so. The height is awesome. But in my location the local roads are ****e. And I-5 between here and Seattle go from sweet blacktop to the worst roads imaginable at 50mph+, especially the closer you get to SEA.

Based on this thread I'm seriously considering the Koni FSDs. I say seriously because it's expensive and I'd be replacing almost new Bilstein HDs which makes me feel a bit picky. But with the Targa roof I'm particularly worried about stress on the car from road bashing.

Subjective Questions:

1. Would the ride height change much?

2. Would the "crashyness" go away on crappy roads, at least somewhat noticeably?

3. Would I be able to re-sell the Bilsteins even though they are used (less than 1K miles on them for sure).

Thanks!
The ride height will not change, this is set by the springs. Yes, these are much better over crappy roads compared the the HD's. HD's are great for the track, nasty on bumpy roads.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
BLT
Instructor

Thanks Zack! Hope your enjoying our (a bit) warmer weather.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
bosoxfan
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

How would the Koni set up with the M033 springs compare in a DD application with the KW V3's or PSS10's?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

ride height is determined by the springs and perches, factory Monroes have limited adjustment, Bilsteins much more so
Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM
BLT
Instructor

Bill - so are my Bilstein HDs adjustable?

Sorry for the ignorance. I just got the Targa about a month ago and have been reading a lot here on RL, but I know expertise is from people like you with 7K posts!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT
Bill - so are my Bilstein HDs adjustable?

Sorry for the ignorance. I just got the Targa about a month ago and have been reading a lot here on RL, but I know expertise is from people like you with 7K posts!
If by hd you mean Bilstein b6 then yes, they have threaded bodies so that the perches can be moved up and down to adjust the height.

Go to Carnewal's sight for pics of what they look like and an explanation of the adjustment range

Quick Reply: Bilstein vs. Monroe vs Koni FSD - interesting write-up