Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Optima Red---Failed me

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My second optima red top has just given up. They both failed after about 18 months. It only has about 10% of the original capacity. I won't ever buy another Optima red top.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I'll let you know if it lasts as long as the original Panasonic battery in my daily driver...
I've never heard of an aftermarket battery that lasts as long as an OEM battery. Perhaps there are other reasons for this other than the quality of the battery. I've seen original batteries in Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, etc. last 10 to 12 years.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

My last Optima lasted 8 years.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I've never heard of an aftermarket battery that lasts as long as an OEM battery. Perhaps there are other reasons for this other than the quality of the battery.
Matt, as long as nothing else has changed, alternartor/voltage regulator still doing what it should, it must be the quality of the battery, and there are differences.

Reading about an Optima failing in 18 months and another lasting 8 years has me wondering about how they were maintained...left sitting discharged, being undercharged or overcharged.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 AM
matt777
Drifting

Do the Optima batteries have special charging requirements? I don't see what all the fuss is about on the Optima anyway. I'd just buy a good quality battery such as the Interstate.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Do the Optima batteries have special charging requirements?
Optima Charging Information

What I don't buy into is the wide range of charge voltages which are normally based on temperature.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I was guilty of leaving my car sit for weeks at a time (even though I have a trickle charger) and that was probably the root of the issue. I even have a battery kill switch.

My battery drained I dont know how many times in the past year but it got so bad that it wouldnt even hold a charge over the last couple of months.

Probably my fault more than anything else. The good news is I pocked $110.00 by getting a new battery.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Matt, as long as nothing else has changed, alternartor/voltage regulator still doing what it should, it must be the quality of the battery, and there are differences.

Reading about an Optima failing in 18 months and another lasting 8 years has me wondering about how they were maintained...left sitting discharged, being undercharged or overcharged.
That's what I was thinking when I read this thread. I blew through an Odyssey 925 in two years because I had it on a cheap Sears battery maintainer. I've since bought a Schumacher-approved charger and all seems to be well. Time will tell.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I keep my 993 on a Battery Tender Plus when not in use.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

One question I have is this. What's the fascination with Optima batteries? They are more expensive than a good lead acid battery. I don't think they are significantly lighter. Their quality seems to very pretty widely and they are finicky as to how they need to be charged.

If one really wants an AGM battery, there's plenty available from East Penn (I just bought an 11 lb battery for my autocross appliance) and they are not expensive. But why Optima? Or way-overpiced Braille for that matter?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
One question I have is this. What's the fascination with Optima batteries? They are more expensive than a good lead acid battery. I don't think they are significantly lighter. Their quality seems to very pretty widely and they are finicky as to how they need to be charged.
Mike,

I went with a sealed Odyssey because I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

Seriously, I wanted to avoid acid spillage.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, we all had that issue in the late 2000s

I did some research a couple of month ago regarding a new AGM battery in a Miata. A short conclusion was that East Penn makes a number of non-wet batteries and sells them to assorted auto chains and other places for very reasonable money. That includes Batteries Plus, for example. I was, admittedly, looking at lower CCA batteries. But can look and see what's available in higher cranking current. On the other hand, since most folks here are not talking about everyday cars and certainly not the ones they'd be starting in the winter, I don;t see much of an issue.

What absolutely blew my mind and what I want to put forward is this. I saw, literally, 3X difference in pricing for the same batteries sold under a different name. I expected 20-30% difference based on name and service. Not 300%.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting. I had an Optima Red Top in my 993 for more than seven years with no problem. I just recently replaced it with a new Red Top, just to play it safe. I've kept a battery maintainer on it when the car is not in use, as it can sit for two or three weeks at a time. Like Mark in Baltimore, I want to avoid spillage.

I've had an Interstate (I think its the MTP-93 - the big sucker) in my 911SC for about seven years. The car can sometimes sit for two or three weeks at a time and, during the winter, is in an unheated and pretty cold garage. I don't use a battery maintainer on that car. I'm thinking of replacing the Interstate just to play it safe.

I think a lot depends on how the batteries, and the cars, are maintained.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:27 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

There is a whole lot to know about batteries. Gel cell, AGM, flooded lead, all require different charge voltages and float voltages. I'm not an expert, but my electrical guys in the boatyard are. We regularly install large battery banks of 1,000 plus amp hrs in yachts. For maximum discharge/recharge cycles, you can't beat AGM. For quick recharge time (to minimize generator run time) you can't beat AGM. For performance per dollar in a little sports car, where weight is not a "weighty" issue, I'll take a quality flooded cell. We were dealers for Interstate for decades and found their corporate culture excellent as pertains to warranty. If cost is no object, and you must have the best, I think Lifeline AGM batteries are at the top of the heap. Remember, I said I am no expert...I am merely parroting what my experts say ( and this is two years old onacountabecause I retired) and may your worst Porsche problem be the battery!.....Chris
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, if I understand correctly, if cost is no object people get Lithium batteries. But we are talking 5-10X the price of a quality AGM. And 1/4 the weight.

Quick Reply: Optima Red---Failed me