993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPP
Very nice. Any more shots of the rear seat area? I'd like to see how you designed it ...
Here are pictures of the back area. I wanted some stitching on the back cover like the classic 911's but it got left out. If I were to do it again, I probably would have mixed in some perforated leather here and there, for a more vintage look.
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Very nicely executed.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

very nice work.
especially how you cleaned up the wire harness under the dash.
what have you done in place of the center console around the ebrake handle and shifter?
how do you like those alloy door handles?
and most important how much weight did you save going to manual windows?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great! Nice mix of new and old.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM
993KT
Racer

Originally Posted by k722070
very nice work.
especially how you cleaned up the wire harness under the dash.
what have you done in place of the center console around the ebrake handle and shifter?
how do you like those alloy door handles?
and most important how much weight did you save going to manual windows?
Thanks! For the area around the ebrake handle and shifter, I plan to get some aluminum plates anodized black for covering them. I got tired of spending money and not driving the car, so I'll try to get to that this winter.

The door handles are okay. I'm a little disappointed with the quality. They are just painted stamped metal plates. They feel solid and I like the design a lot. They would have been way better if they were machined and anodized.

I didn't weight the window lifter, but the difference can't be that big. The window motors are not that heavy and the manual lifter is definitely heavier than the powered ones.

I started out with the idea of weight saving, but I realize that the square weave carpeting and leather are both really heavy. So in the end, I accepted myself as being a poser, and just want the interior to look and feel nice, with a perception of light weight. I spend sleepless nights thinking about the manual window conversion but in the end I don't regret the totally unreasonable amount of money, because it feels so nice to crank the windows up and down. The same goes for the manual door lock.

Still want to do a better job with the underdash wiring. I think I can reroute the climate control harness to make it disappear from view. The harness for the switches will eventually be gone also, along with relocating/deleting those switches.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Benton
Drifting

OH YEAH, very nice!!! Those seats look fabulous. I'm in the middle of a very similar project myself.

I eventually need to locate some of the non-airbag column parts; where did you purchase?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM
993KT
Racer

Originally Posted by Benton
OH YEAH, very nice!!! Those seats look fabulous. I'm in the middle of a very similar project myself.

I eventually need to locate some of the non-airbag column parts; where did you purchase?
Thanks! Mostly from Pelican Parts. I've been getting stuff from the local Porsche dealer also. Just do a search here and you can get all the part numbers.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:02 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 41 Posts

WOW! Very nice!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM
mlnr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice, I really like the doors.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KT
Here are pictures of the back area. I wanted some stitching on the back cover like the classic 911's but it got left out. If I were to do it again, I probably would have mixed in some perforated leather here and there, for a more vintage look.
Thanks .. I like where your going with this .. a script on the vertical shelf cover would/could be awesome. I have thoughts about doing a 'lightweight' coupe in the future with all carpet back there ala RS but leaving the side covers inplace as well .. doing the lower seat belt retractor cover in carpet and leave the upper in vinyl, but now that you mention it .. perforated leather would be really nice.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM
993KT
Racer

Originally Posted by JPP
Thanks .. I like where your going with this .. a script on the vertical shelf cover would/could be awesome. I have thoughts about doing a 'lightweight' coupe in the future with all carpet back there ala RS but leaving the side covers inplace as well .. doing the lower seat belt retractor cover in carpet and leave the upper in vinyl, but now that you mention it .. perforated leather would be really nice.
Yeah, you can think about doing the lower seat belt cover in perforated leather, and leave the upper part in smooth vinyl or leather. I will carry that over to the back and line it up so that the lower half of the back cover will be perforated also. Then carry that forward to the RS door card and have the lower half perforated. The middle part of the Recaro's will be perforated also, of course.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Holy smokes! That is a cool transformation. I like it!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 AM
koebel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very, very nice. Like the leather Recaros a look as well as how the dash looks. Switches on the dash are also a very cool solution for the console delete. Did you think about have the shells of the Recaros sprayed in the color of your car? Would be totally different look.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Bham993
Intermediate

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm getting a little tired of my grey interior, but don't think I could muster the time/energy/money. I like the Rennsport shifter suggestion.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

impressive work

Quick Reply: Interior Makeover