Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone bought an SUV lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I just got a 2010 Audi Q5 Prestige - love it!

It is CPO so my warranty is 4 more years and more miles than I will ever drive.

It meets all of your requirements.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 AM
irish89rmf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda CX-9

I've had a Mazda CX-9 for a little over three years. About 76k miles with no issues. It drives well has plenty of power and meets all of the needs you listed. I've averaged about 21 mpg.

Bob
Old 07-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

Just bought a one owner 2001 4Runner with 66,000 miles. Cloth interior which is great for a daily and super reliable. I love it and the wife loves it more.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought this 2013 Acura RDX. It's a totally new vehicle based on the CRV but with a V6. Picked it up yesterday so can't report any real experience. We looked at a number of crossovers in the same size class. This has he right combination of features for us....good looks, utility, comfort, performance, size and (hopefully) Honda reliability.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You didn't specify used or new...
I recently bought a 2003 BMW X5 4.6is. I would have sprung for a Cayenne Turbo if it was in my budget. An '06 Turbo/Turbo S is certainly in range for you, possibly even an '08 Turbo. I wouldn't recommend the X5 for any larger breed of dog, as the floor in the cargo area is very high, which won't allow the dog much head room.
If we're talking strictly new cars, I'd agree on the Mini Countryman with a 6-speed manual.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Now I have the FJ Cruiser which is the ugly cousin of the 4Runner also based on a Land Cruiser Prado platform, also a great Japanese built/assembled SUV up for any task, especially big slobbery drooly doggies, since it has big plastic mats instead of carpet...
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I would think for any dog you would want a 3rd row seating vehicle to get the space an animal would need to be comfortable and safe .. (can you tell I'm an animal person..?) .. and from what I've seen, the only one mentioned so far that has that kind of space is the Audi Q5. When I read the road tests and owners testimony's for that vehicle they just gush about the performance and handling, space and comfort, build quality, dealer service ... and I would buy used off a two year lease .. absolutely .. who needs to pay Audi $10K depreciation for the privilege ...
Only other vehicle I can see that meets that kind of space requirement in the back might be the Infinity JX or QX .. but the styling is an aquired taste for sure ..
Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sadly, I will be finding myself in a similar position of having to buy an SUV in the next year or two. Was all set to pursue a used Cayenne (like to limit the purchase price to $30K or less), but my wife wants a third row SUV to replace our 530i. I've already warned her that I won't drive it unless its a Cayenne - I think I'll need to make her sign a waiver Here's what I've come up with so far, please let me know if I've missed anything or if you think my assumptions are wrong.

1. Last generation 4 Runner V8 (2006 ish) - reliable, like this one, but unfortunately wife doesn't.
2. 2007 and up Acura MDX - likely candidate
3. MB GL320 TDI - Good mileage, frightening MB reliability, too slow.
4. MB GL450 - Same frightening reliability, lousy mileage
5. Toyota/Lexus Landcruiser/LX450 - reliable, too slow, lousy mileage
6. Audi Q7 - frightening Audi reliabilty
7. BMW X5 - hard to find third row, not cheap
8. Latest Jeep Grand Cherokee - not sure if it has a third row
9. Other American SUVs, Mazda CX9, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Armada, Toyota Sequoia - not interested

Of course I'll need something else to drive the family when the SUV comes. An E39 M5 or 540i/6 should fit the bill nicely

Cheers,
Joe
Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
Or even better, a Land Cruiser / LX. Not in the price range for new, but they last forever, so consider a used one. Cheap to maintain, but very thirsty. Did I mention that they last forever?
I second this, we're on our 3rd LX and will replace this one with another when we hit 250K.....apart from the basic maintenance recommendations these trucks are low cost over the long run and are bulletproof. They hold value, even with high mileage. The fuel consumption is lousy, but the quality, ride and reliability of the LX more than makes up of it IMHO.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I have 2 Shepherds - they fit fine in the Q5 - I put down the 2nd seat for longer trips.

Audi reliability seems to be great for about 6 years - but I would not own one without a warranty.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Sadly, I will be finding myself in a similar position of having to buy an SUV in the next year or two. ...
Here's what I've come up with so far, please let me know if I've missed anything or if you think my assumptions are wrong.

Cheers,
Joe
Joe .. is Audi reliability really that bad? I have three friends with different models .. big wagon, A3 .. Q7 and they've all been very good .. albeit, they are 2010 or newer models ..
I can't imagine they would be any less reliable or more costly to repair/maintain than an equivalent BMW .. or am I wrong?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ford Explorer. I'm on my 4th one since 2003. I got this one (2011 Limited) in February 2011 and have over 49,000 miles on it already. These have all been my company cars. Seats 7 with the 3rd row and still has room for luggage and groceries. I gas 'em (18 city and 23 highway). Wash 'em. Oil change every 7K miles. At 50K we do the trans fluid and coolant. Brakes last till about 90K. Plugs done at 100K. Tires last about 45-50K. And some air, cabin, and seat filters every so often. That's about it.

American. And no bailout money taken.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPP
Joe .. is Audi reliability really that bad? I have three friends with different models .. big wagon, A3 .. Q7 and they've all been very good .. albeit, they are 2010 or newer models ..
I can't imagine they would be any less reliable or more costly to repair/maintain than an equivalent BMW .. or am I wrong?
Audi reliability is not that bad, but the Q7 is the most problematic of the whole lineup. The main thing that sticks in my mind from the dealer workshop is the panorama roof failures (requiring complete sunroof frame replacement). Other problems were mainly electrical, though a few of the V6s did get engine replacements due to timing chain issues.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We just bought a 2012 Honda pilot for my wife, She loves it, and I am so far very impressed with the vehicle.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by JM993
Sadly, I will be finding myself in a similar position of having to buy an SUV in the next year or two. Was all set to pursue a used Cayenne (like to limit the purchase price to $30K or less), but my wife wants a third row SUV to replace our 530i. I've already warned her that I won't drive it unless its a Cayenne - I think I'll need to make her sign a waiver Here's what I've come up with so far, please let me know if I've missed anything or if you think my assumptions are wrong.

1. Last generation 4 Runner V8 (2006 ish) - reliable, like this one, but unfortunately wife doesn't.
2. 2007 and up Acura MDX - likely candidate
3. MB GL320 TDI - Good mileage, frightening MB reliability, too slow.
4. MB GL450 - Same frightening reliability, lousy mileage
5. Toyota/Lexus Landcruiser/LX450 - reliable, too slow, lousy mileage
7. BMW X5 - hard to find third row, not cheap
8. Latest Jeep Grand Cherokee - not sure if it has a third row
9. Other American SUVs, Mazda CX9, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Armada, Toyota Sequoia - not interested

Of course I'll need something else to drive the family when the SUV comes. An E39 M5 or 540i/6 should fit the bill nicely

Cheers,
Joe
Have you considered the Volvo XC90? I think it's one of the better SUVs with 3 rows. I like the Ford Flex too, but it's not so much an SUV as a big station wagon.

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone bought an SUV lately?