Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel wobble at speed and during braking. Bushings the likely culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM
E_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel wobble at speed and during braking. Bushings the likely culprit?

Sorry for reintroducing a topic that seems to have been discussed at some length, but thought I'd run it by the community for some qualified opinions:

Had an opportunity for some quality time with my 993 C2S recently, 1000 miles of it, to be precise. During my trip i noticed that the steering has developed a slight wobble in the 55 - 65 mph range. I thought initially that it had to do with uneven surfaces (concrete on certain sections of highways over here), but it was also present on smooth sections of brand new tarmac, so there is no denying that there is an issue.

On braking the wobble is VERY noticeable, a new sensation as the car did not have this 2000 miles ago (which is what I have covered since I bought it about a year ago). The fact that the wobble is present both at speed and when braking makes me think that it might be the front control arm bushings, but I would appreciate some opinions. I take it that the brakes could be another contender, but the two PPIs I had done and the work which has been done on it since I got it do not suggest that it is a brake issue. Front wheel bearings? But at 23 K miles? Rotors?

The dry facts:

1998 C2S - 23 K miles
Original US sports suspension, bushings, dampers and all.
New tires with less than 2000 miles on them, balanced and correctly inflated. No flat spots (which I have noticed at least, but the tires are brand new)
No feeling of unevenness during braking through the pedal.
Feedback from mechanic 2000 miles ago was that (at least) some bushings were pretty worn, ditto for dampers.

Time to do the suspension and bushings? - and is this likely to solve the issues I have, do you think?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes

And road irregularities will exaggerate it
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkD
Yes

And road irregularities will exaggerate it
Yup. At 45k mine were done. Seems to be more of an age thing than mileage me thinks. New Walrod bushings and wobble all gone.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
jan the man
Rennlist Member

Bushings would be my guess, mine did the same thing before i replaced them. If you jack up the car and use a pry bar between where the control arm attaches to the frame and you see lots of slop/movement thats probably the problem. Mine was pretty obvious when i did that. changing them made a huge difference.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM
E_T
Instructor

Ok, thanks a lot, guys. I already have the bushings, bought them earlier this year, but haven't had a chance to get the job done, but now it seems I have to bite the bullet and have them done, along with new suspension. Would love to hear from anyone who has done the KONI FSDs in combination with M033.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

I almost went with Koni then decided on the Bilsteins for more height adjustability. I did M033 and the Walrods at the same time and it was the best thing I have done for my car. It is perfect for street driving and the twisties. I do not track my 993.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by skl2
I almost went with Koni then decided on the Bilsteins for more height adjustability. I did M033 and the Walrods at the same time and it was the best thing I have done for my car. It is perfect for street driving and the twisties. I do not track my 993.
Thanks, skl2. Bilsteins are my second option. My only concern with them, although I am not sure, is that the bilsteins will offer a harsher ride than the Konis. I'd rather have a slightly softer than a firmer ride, as the roads the car will eventually end up on are not particularly good. The car will not be tracked. What is the ride like with the m033 and bilstein combo? In terms of hard/soft?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the chances of doing the Walrod bushings and not screwing up ur alignment so bad it'll need to be redone?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
What are the chances of doing the Walrod bushings and not screwing up ur alignment so bad it'll need to be redone?
+ 1. I have been asking myself the same question. Time to ask someone who knows.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by E_T
Thanks, skl2. Bilsteins are my second option. My only concern with them, although I am not sure, is that the bilsteins will offer a harsher ride than the Konis. I'd rather have a slightly softer than a firmer ride, as the roads the car will eventually end up on are not particularly good. The car will not be tracked. What is the ride like with the m033 and bilstein combo? In terms of hard/soft?
Its hard to convey what the ride is like because its all relative. I think the ride is perfect, firm yet compliant. I dont feel its harsh at all. For my type of driving, I wouldn't want it any softer and if I tracked or drove the twisties in the smokey mountains more often I might even stiffen it up more.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:46 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by E_T
I had billies and m033s in my cab and the c4s has konis and m033s. I prefer the billies for the exact reason you probably want the konis: the billies feel firmer to me and the konis slightly softer. But, as with all things suspension, YMMV.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM
E_T
Instructor

Both options will be miles better than the 15 year old alternative, which is neither soft nor hard, but purely harsh and a little jumpy.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Linnm
Pro

Don't rule out warped rotors!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
E_T
Instructor

Linnm - I thought I was home free!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Something to consider since it will cost you nothing to check/perform. The "index" method sounds absurd but I tried it (for my RUF 19s) and it actually worked!

Post #4:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ferrerid=66189

Post #6:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ferrerid=66189

Post #8:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ferrerid=66189

Quick Reply: Steering wheel wobble at speed and during braking. Bushings the likely culprit?