Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Tank and Oil line removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 07:28 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 509 Posts

I did this a few months ago to gut my whole car. Not sure of the reason behind pulling the tank but is definitely much easier if the lines are disconnected from the cooler and fully free (dangling) underneath the body/fender. That will enable you to slide (muscle) them off with some leverage.

But if you don't have a reason to do it that way, you can go about doing it the harder way (contrary to the opinion above).

Last edited by boomboomthump; 12-04-2021 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1997hmc993 (12-09-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:42 PM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I did this earlier in the year. You absolutely need the bracket reinstalled to remove the lines.The bracket holds the tank while you knock out the lines. To remove the lines, get a split shaft clamp and mount it onto the oil line. The one i used is this one:
Amazon Amazon

Take a regular hammer, rest it against the line, and hit the clamp towards the front of the car, as if you are sliding the hammer on the oil line. Don't he-man it, but no need to be gentle either. Removing the plastic line holders all the way behind the front passenger fender liner helps too. Liberally spray penetrating fluid and let it soak. Get a can of computer cleaner and spray (upside down) where the line is recessed into the tank. The cold canned air will help ease the line out.

Originally Posted by 1997hmc993
Hi,
I am trying to remove the oil tank on my 97 993.
I got every hose disconnected except 2 lines to the oil cooler at the front.
Do you have any tip to pull those out?
The holding bracket off and I have been pulling (wiggling) the tank toward the back of the car but the lines to the cooler are sliding out!
Should I pull the line from the cooler side?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
1997hmc993 (12-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Oil Tank and Oil line removal