Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Anyone know where I can get a ZF Steering Rack Rebuild for $1500 or less?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Help! Anyone know where I can get a ZF Steering Rack Rebuild for $1500 or less?

Thanks in advance if you do. Leaking like a sieve. Cheapest my indie can find is $2070 through his sources. I'll have to pay more than that though as that's "his price" - I pay a mark up for parts I guess.

Not interested in a domestic rebuilt, only the ZF steering rack (as if I know what I'm talking about, which I don't). My repair shop said he can only warrantee the ZF so that's what it's going to be. He said a domestic rebuild could stop working 3 weeks later, no guarantee. I know nothing about any of this.

Wouldn't this work?
http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/3...%20-%20ZF.aspx

Porsche 993 Rebuilt Power Steering Rack - ZF
Part No: 993347011X

Core Charge:
$350.00 EA
Your Price:
$1,299.00 EA

Yes, I need this, and LOTS of other stuff. A/C is shot, stopped working 3 days ago in 103 degree humid weather. It's got R134 filled up in it - could cost quite a bit to fix ($1000-1500), new rotors and brake pads, belts, filters, just lots of stuff I don't even remember.

I had to make a decision today whether to keep my car or not, and I spent about 5 seconds thinking about it. The answer is "yes". Yes, I will spend a bloody fortune fixing all the stuff that's wrong with it right now. Don't ask, the list is too long and I couldn't remember anyway, but in the end, I will end up with a MUCH better car.

Luckily, work on my job has been going great, I don't have a wife or a kid (anymore) so I've actually saved up money, and I just refinanced my house which saved me $31K ). I'm blessed to be able to keep this car, for now.

Steve
Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, I just had my steering rack rebuilt on my 993TT, core exchange and warranty for 1 year included and came to $970 total parts/labor.

I'm confused on the ZF, not sure what that is/means but wanted to throw that out there. Not sure if its apples to apples or not?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

964 RSA manual steering rack? Will it fit an AWD 993?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DALLWA
Steve, I just had my steering rack rebuilt on my 993TT, core exchange and warranty for 1 year included and came to $970 total parts/labor.

I'm confused on the ZF, not sure what that is/means but wanted to throw that out there. Not sure if its apples to apples or not?
Uh, was your shop in Maryland? I'll be there tomorrow morning! I know... it was in Colorado I guess. Damn it's expensive to live here sometimes.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased a rebuilt steering rack in 2009 from http://www.Powersteeringpros.com/ and had no problems. They will send you an exact duplicate of your steering rack.

So, I'm guessing our racks were ZF. Don't know. But they've been in business a while and warranty their work.

Installed the rack myself, took about 4 hours.

Marc
Old 07-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

For your steering rack issue I would just check that the guys you'll send your rack to will have done a lot before, that's the only point to know to be confident.
I did my rack by myself (my main hobby is to diy anything I can) and honnestly if I were to do it again it would be very easy, so even more easy for a professional with room, expensive tools, ect...

For the rest I would consider checking with other members here what you are about to change on your car, as it's quite easy with pcar to go to an indie and have him changing half of the car for a lot of $ although it's not so necessary...(essentially thinking of the A/C...).

But at the end if you want your car to be ready in a couple of days and you don't care about money spent just keep going on with your indie.

Regards,
Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgianzero
I purchased a rebuilt steering rack in 2009 from http://www.Powersteeringpros.com/ and had no problems. They will send you an exact duplicate of your steering rack.

So, I'm guessing our racks were ZF. Don't know. But they've been in business a while and warranty their work.

Marc
THANKS! So my dealer did more research on this, a lot of research and no one has a ZF power steering rack in the US. The co's that advertise ZF don't have any. Has to get it in Germany for $1800 and $100 shipping. He doesn't put any stock in a domestic rebuild from previous bad experience with them failing way too early. Since this is all Russian to me, but saving $1300 would be NICE! That would pay for my trip to Prague and Budapest (the flight) and 3 nights in my Prague hotel.

I told my indie about the Powersteeringpros.com $500 one you used but he said he wouldn't recommend it but if I bought it he'd install it with no warrantee.

I called them myself and they said they sold 250 in the last 2 years and got ZERO back. Warranteed for 3 years. Hmmm, I should do this, right?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero

Marc
This.
+
install with a local rennlister if your concerned about doing the procedure.

resealing racks isnt rocket science, these guys do it regularly for all models. this was very common issue on my old 944 too.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

If you don't want to DIY it, there is a company in the UK that rebuild steering racks that I used
three years ago for a friend. The cost was around 250 US dollars without shipping.
They bench test each rack after rebuild and they warranty the racks.
Just go to eBay UK, and search for them.
If I recall, they include their phone number on the listing.
The rack I got from them, reconditioned, was perfect.
On the eBay listing, they said they only ship to UK, but I remember I called the guy and they
shipped international no problem.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

As I mentioned over the phone, I would not hesitate to use a rebuilt rack. Research a good company on Rennlist and pull the trigger. Good luck, Steve.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
As I mentioned over the phone, I would not hesitate to use a rebuilt rack. Research a good company on Rennlist and pull the trigger. Good luck, Steve.
Thanks again folks. Pulled the trigger on the Powersteeringpros.com one and they're shipping to my indie in 5 days. Indie's OK with installing it now after I told him they guarantee it for 3 years. I paid $400 more for the core return deposit deal and they even pay the shipping to me and the return core shipping. Not bad. Then I get the $400 back and all is well with the world.

Steve

Quick Reply: Help! Anyone know where I can get a ZF Steering Rack Rebuild for $1500 or less?