993 Forum 1995-1998

Help!! Rothsport Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help!! Rothsport Shifter Install

so this bolt has a step in it that seems to be preventing it from going all the way through. A press will be required that can't be right? Anyone with knowledge on this as I can't call Rothsport until the AM (at my tech's car in the air....

thks Jordan
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 PM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
so this bolt has a step in it that seems to be preventing it from going all the way through. A press will be required that can't be right? Anyone with knowledge on this as I can't call Rothsport until the AM (at my tech's car in the air....

thks Jordan
Did you get this resolved? I have this same shifter as well as the golden rod.....ordered it all from FD Motorsports. You might give those guys a call. I don't recall having any issues when I installed mine two years ago. If you still have issues, I can take a look at my car and send you a PM.

Andy
Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Andy...no we didn't get it resolved and ended up putting it all back together with my old (RUF) gear lever. We're 99% it's just a randomly bad bolt from the batch the step shouldnt be there and it even looks like a flaw. My tech will talk to Jeff Gamroth this morning and will either have them send a new correct one or he'll run it over to a fab shop and have them lathe it down to even so it's able to slot through correctly. It was certainly a pain in the *** and a couple hours/$$ of wasted tech time but we'll get it sorted in short order I'm sure.

Rgds Jordan
Old 04-20-2014, 12:44 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the process of installing the Rothsport SSK, and am experiencing this very same issue. It appears that that the diameter of the pivot pin near the 'base' of the pin, is slightly wider - and won't allow the pin to completely slide through the holes on the shift lever. I will contact Rothsport on Monday to inquire about having a new pin sent to me. Hopefully that's all it takes.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:47 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, I too am doing this install currently. I ran into the same issue with my setup and didnt resolve it before I quit for today. I tried the pin by itself with the shifter with the pin in both orientations and it wouldnt seat completely in either direction, but the pin head will go into either side without issue. I thought it was just a tight fit and might need some coaxing with a rubber mallet. Hopefully someone else has some insight.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contacted either FD or Rothsport when I installed mine. It is by design so the pin will have a snug fit. You just need to tap it lightly. I think I just bang on the work bench. It went in smoothly and you can get it back out easily also.
The following users liked this post:
HiWind (10-17-2020)
Old 04-20-2014, 04:10 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Ok, after sending an email to Rothsport last night, I just got a call from Earl at Rothsport the next morning. Apparently they work weekends... including Easter Sunday. Impressive customer service! He discussed with Gamroth, and the pin is indeed intended to be a snug fit, to prevent it from rotating. It may take some tapping to get it in place.

Also the 3 washers (2 flat washers, and 1 spring washer) need to be in place between the new Rothsport fork and the gearshift lever, to take out any lateral movement of the fork. Wow - how you hold those washers in place to get the pin to slide through them is beyond me. The bilateral design of the Rothsport shifter makes holding them in place impossible, as far as I can tell. This could take a while.... :-)
Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe thick gunk grease (like the stuff you use for the Walrod install) would hold everything there for ya.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 AM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did it and used the washers. also dont reinstall the pipe that holds until you reinstall all the allen bolts then slide it through then reinstall. this whole thing is way easier with a lift fyi
Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Ok, just a follow-up to the installation process. Indeed, the pin will seat into the Rothsport gearshift with the use of a hammer.

It was not easy to insert the 3 washers between the fork and the gearshift, because there is no easy way to put the washers in place. I used a phillips screwdriver placed through the assembly, and added 1 washer at a time until I could snag it over the screwdriver. Once I had all 3 in place, I displaced the screwdriver with the pin through the opposite end. And then pounded it in place.

Here is a video I shot of the resulting gearshift action and residual play:

The Rothsport SSK is coupled to the FD Motorsports Golden Rod (forward and main) with the monoballs (not the cups with plastic inserts).

Good luck with the install!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job on getting your install figured out. I just buttoned mine up also. I had the rothsport shifter along with the ssk from FD. I did not install the 3 washers for the pin that spears the shuttle and fork, and everything seems to be fine so far. The shuttle and fork had some movement when out of the car, but nothing moves that shouldn't once I got it installed.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:16 AM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a random question. I see you guys talking about the "3 washers" in between the "fork" and the body of the short shifter. Are you guys literally saying that the sequence should be as follows:

- One end of Rothsport shifter
- White "shift coupler"
- U-shaped fork thingy
- Shift "shuttle"
- U-shaped fork thingy
- White "shift coupler"
- Flat washer
- Flat washer
- Springy washer
- Other end of Rothsport shifter

Is that correct?

Is that kind of unbalanced, though? Then again, that is how Porsche had their shift lever setup—with three washers only on the one side. (I tried getting a flat and springy on both sides of the U-shaped thingy, and that was pretty hard. I ended up messing up the white "Shift couplers.")
Old 10-17-2020, 07:03 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KT
I contacted either FD or Rothsport when I installed mine. It is by design so the pin will have a snug fit. You just need to tap it lightly. I think I just bang on the work bench. It went in smoothly and you can get it back out easily also.
lol exactly right - 'gentle' bang on a piece of wooden worktop with another piece of wood

Quick Reply: Help!! Rothsport Shifter Install