Sponsored by:

Interior Project Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interior Project Update

Today - Just finished adding the my02 shifter and handbrake. While I was at it - I pulled out the console and cleaned it up to look new. Sprayed it with Surflex and it came out really nice. Also replaced a couple of the rocker switches in the console that were worn. Added the console tray where the cassette holder was (what are cassettes?). Big thanks to Gert. My wallet is much more aerodynamic now.

First project was the seats about a year ago... driver side was badly worn on the back left side where I hit it every time I got in the car. I was able to find a nice set from Einmalig in SoCal. They have all the bells and whistles - 12 way and seat heater included. They were in excellent condition. Foam is solid and the leather is plush - same as the original in the car.

I replaced my steering wheel to a 996 3 spoke a few months back... really like the look and feel of the new wheel. Dallas did a great job.

Not really that noticeable - but have been replacing the door sills and the door seals that were worn.

Dash was cracked (vinyl) on top above the instrument cluster. I eventually found a very clean leather dash... easy project to replace. It took a couple of times to get the dash I would accept. Had to send the first one back as it had some obvious blemishes. LA Dismantlers - took some time, but eventually came through.

Speakers were getting raspy as they were beginning to deteriorate. Replaced the amp and speakers with:
Amp - Hertz HDP 4 - Four Channel Full Range Class D Amplifier
Speakers - Focal 165 KRX2 - 6-1/2" (165mm) 2-way kit, high precision separate crossover integrating tweeter level adjustment, adjustable midrange as well as treble booster. I am very happy with the result - really clean sound and great frequency response from the new speakers. I am using the rears as fill and they are fine for that purpose. I was able to replace the rears about a year ago with OEM.

People can't believe this car is a 1996... we do take good care of our 993's.

Next project will be the carpet.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 AM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Really nice job!
I have a question:
Does the airbag has blue stitches? If yes, is it factory or aftermarket upgrade??
Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lookin good. Nice work
Old 07-15-2012, 09:30 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interior is looking real nice. On my todo list.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the steering wheel the stock 996 version or the extra thick model?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:08 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by RP993
Really nice job!
I have a question:
Does the airbag has blue stitches? If yes, is it factory or aftermarket upgrade??
The wheel was done by Dallas Custom Steering Wheels. I learned about them here. They will do just about anything you want - leather or alcantra, colored stitching etc.
http://dallassteeringwheel.com/index.htm
Old 07-15-2012, 03:10 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkhn
Is the steering wheel the stock 996 version or the extra thick model?
I had Dallas do the thicker version. Has a great feel.

Quick Reply: Interior Project Update