Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012 | 05:43 PM
osugasman
Racer

Originally Posted by race911
And we can keep piling on, but you got the highlights.

What I'd like to know is where you're coming from (meaning how long of a flight/how wiped out you'll be on Day One), and what's your budget. And when you're leaving. Time management will be critical if you're trying to get a lot in.

Have a firm date?
I will finish a 24hr call (Anesthesiologist) Thursday morning and fly out at 9AM. Get in around 11AM local. Usually get enough sleep to make Thursday a good day. Then we have Fri-Sun and will fly back Monday morning. Business class (you only live once) tickets are purchased for airfare only--Mid August.

Everything else is open. Plan on spending a couple of grand. Like good food but would much rather rent a nice bike for a day and eat something healthy with a nice IPA then go to a $500 steak house and order the "reserve list" cabernet. My wife could care less about shopping so we will try to book some active trips every day.

Thanks to all!!!!
Old 07-13-2012 | 06:16 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Originally Posted by osugasman
I will finish a 24hr call (Anesthesiologist) Thursday morning and fly out at 9AM. Get in around 11AM local. Usually get enough sleep to make Thursday a good day. Then we have Fri-Sun and will fly back Monday morning. Business class (you only live once) tickets are purchased for airfare only--Mid August.

Everything else is open. Plan on spending a couple of grand. Like good food but would much rather rent a nice bike for a day and eat something healthy with a nice IPA then go to a $500 steak house and order the "reserve list" cabernet. My wife could care less about shopping so we will try to book some active trips every day.

Thanks to all!!!!
If you don't have a loyalty program that puts you in a Marriott, look at the Triton Hotel. http://www.hoteltriton.com/ A neat hotel in a great location, right around from the famous Chinatown gate and near Union Square and good restaurants.

If you guys are really the active type you might even bike along the waterfront, over the bridge, to Sausalito. Biking in SF is pretty iffy because of the hills.
Old 07-13-2012 | 06:45 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by osugasman
Business class (you only live once) tickets are purchased for airfare only--Mid August.
Uh, Mid-August? You know what you could do, right?

If it's the weekend of August 18-19, and you really want to pack it in, then you could always stop by:

http://www.montereycarweek.com/Events.html

Old 07-13-2012 | 06:47 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Biking is a great idea and you can rent them various places. I'd recommend renting/starting near the Hyde Street Pier then ride through the Presidio and over the GG Bridge. If it's the weekend or after 4:00 be sure to take the dedicated (no pedestrians) bike path on the west (outside) of the bridge otherwise you'll be walking the bridge most of the way due to the tourist crowds. Continue on to Sausalito (or if you're really ambitious Tiburon), have lunch then take a ferry back to SF and ride the rest of the loop back to Hyde street. If you want a more off beat trip take the ferry from Fisherman's Wharf to Angel Island. You can rent bikes there then tour the island - it's a state park with no cars allowed but has great history and a fun ride, especially if you go to the top to see a 360 degree view of the bay. Skip it if it's foggy though as you'll be dead center in the fog there freezing to death.

If you're into it you should visit the Nike missle base in the Marin Headlands. It's the only one saved from the 50's era and really cool. It's just across the GG bridge and a very easy drive but a bit of a haul on a bike unless you're really up for a ride. They're only open W-F 12:30 to 3:30 and the occasional Saturday so you'll need to make sure they're open and plan the timing. If it's not foggy the Headlands is a great place to bring a brown bag lunch and fnd a neat spot to catch views of the city and/or ocean. A highly recommended and often missed attraction.

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy it!
Old 07-15-2012 | 01:34 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Drive safely

Old 07-16-2012 | 01:50 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Old 07-16-2012 | 11:13 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Yeah, yeah. But now you know they're looking for a dispensary--probably the economic "engine" of the city now.

Before, you knew they were lost after getting on the bridge, and missing the TI exit. Nothing to see here.
Old 07-16-2012 | 06:08 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

My few suggestions,
Union Street Neighborhood Citycycle
Contadina Trattoria
R & G Flower Lounge, the best Crab
North Beach Pizza
Take a look at a room at the Mandarin Hotel on Sansone, glass hallway between the towers
Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel
Molinari's Italian Deli for sandwiches
Old 10-30-2015 | 05:43 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Anything new to add here ? re: places to stay, fun-trendy (walking type) neighborhoods, visually striking restaurants, etc., and only in the city please. Have already covered Napa/Sonoma, Alcatraz, Sausalito last time we were there approximately 15 years ago. Will be in SFO Fri, Nov 27th for 4-5 days with my lovely wife. TIA. T

Last edited by 77tony; 10-30-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2015 | 11:00 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Try going to http://www.25lusk.com we've been there a few times and it's a nice place.
Old 10-30-2015 | 11:26 PM
bukowski
Instructor

Get a reservation ahead of time for State Bird Provisions. Al's place is a new Michelin star restaurant that is reasonably priced and very creative but all the attention makes the wait long so put your name in early and grab a drink in the mission (el techo de lolinda has a rooftop with a great view). If you are looking for a good drink downtown I would head to Local Edition that is an underground speakeasy style bar in he basement of the Hearst building. If you are a scotch drinker I highly recommend getting the Laphroaig Project that uses Laphroaig quarter cask with green and yellow chartreuse. If here is any type of food or activity that you are looking for let me know and I can point you in the right direction!
Old 10-30-2015 | 11:27 PM
bukowski
Instructor

Forget to mention the Top of the Mark in the Hotel Intercontinental Mark Hopkins that is right across from Grace Cathedral and the Pacific Union Club.
Old 10-31-2015 | 01:49 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Just checked on 25Lusk & State Bird Provisions online and they are exactly what we are after. Thank you. Plan is to hit Farallon one night for old times sake so I think our dinner ticket is now punched. What are the cool walking neighborhoods wife & I should check out ? TIA. T
Old 10-31-2015 | 02:02 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

You got to walk down Haight Street. Also, *** Hill and have a coffee in North Beach. Definately WALK across the GG Bridge and maybe hike the Lands End Trail (great views of the Golden Gate.) Have breakfast at the Cliff House. The Sunset District is coming of age - have a coffee at Devil's Teeth on Noriega St near the beach. SF is a funky fun town, hope you enjoy it.
Old 10-31-2015 | 02:11 AM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

Default Thoughts on SF

If you are a coffee drinker definitely try blue bottle coffee.
Ferry building one is the best but has a long line
The Ferry Building has really very good food even though it's touristy.

For burgers Super Duper (location on Mission) is great.
Also Pearls is very good.

If you are a foodie Tenderloin has very good ethnic food.
Grungy but safe during the day.
Turtle Tower (Hanoi style pho)
There's an amazing Vietnamese sandwich place run by two little ladies on Larkin street
Lers Ros. Very authentic Thai food. On Larkin Street

Around Union Square Kulettos has surprisingly decent food.
I second the recommendation of Farallon.

The House is very good Asian Fusion.

If you want to walk a lot you will probably find Union Square a more central location. You can really walk all over SF.

Coit tower is a very nice place to walk up. There's an interesting neighborhood garden down the back.

China town is an interesting walk but the food isn't very good.

Enjoy your stay!

Napa side is incredibly busy compared to the Sonoma side if you make it up there.

Quick Reply: OT: San Francisco