Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Pulled over for the first time in my 993...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

^^^^ These stories are the reason I just dropped $550 on Escrort's brand-new radar detector called the Passport Max
Old 09-17-2013, 06:08 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
It was far easier to get out of tickets when cops were out to enforce safety.

Here in California, citations are all about revenue as the State is broke, so it makes it very difficult to get out of tickets these days.

Sounds like you played it right and got a free pass.
+1 but it can make it easier to reduce ticket to a non-moving violations.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just think it's always better then 26 points you could of had, now go invest in a radar detector
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh I have a new V1... I just don't use it for day to day intown stuff... argh!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:37 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the radar detectors any useful nowdays? My understanding is that if cop uses laser, the detector is useless unless you have shifters or whatever they are called. But I have never owned one.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been let go six or seven times in the 993. I always have the paperwork ready to go, am extremely polite and own up to speeding for no good reason. Amazed as I would expect the opposite....cop hating on young guy in nice Porsche.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I have paper work ready, window down, pleasant tone and attitude. I typically can get out of 1 of 2 tickets. Now its 1 of 3 with the 993. The counties and cities need the money!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Never been stopped during 8 years of 993 ownership. With my 993.

But for some reason, a local constable found reason to yank me over while driving the Cactuswagon.

Andreas
Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Jake G
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
It is not that hard, if practiced, to avoid tickets when pulled over. There are a few reasons: Most cops are car guys. Most cops respond well when you treat them with the level of respect they expect. Most cops know that, satistically, cop shootings happen most frequently on car stops and if you act in a manner clearly designed to reduce that concern, they are greatful. Add this all together and what you get is a greatful car guy being nice to another car guy.

Here is my script upon being pulled over: (1) turn off car; (2) leave hands on wheel while waiting for officer to arrive; (3) be polite, contrite, and wait for instructions; (4) before any movement, I inform cop what I'm about to do -- i.e., he says "license and registration" and I respond "my license is in my wallet and registration is in the glove compartment. I'm going to get them now." They usually say "ok."

That's it. In the scores of times of I've been pulled over, about 80% of them have resulted in no ticket issued and 20% in citations for offense far less serious than what I committed, i.e., reduction of speed in speeding ticket, etc. I don't think I've been written up for the real offenses sinces that stupid time in college I tried to run a Cambridge cop while driving my BMW 2002....
This is right on the money. There are lots of LE that are car guys and I am sure are even P-Car guys, maybe even Rennlist members. Be mindful of their safety as stated, be nice and be honest and you are stacking the deck in your favor. That being said, tickets are tough to get out of by a motorcycle cop as that is their function.

My 2 Cents
Old 09-19-2013, 12:27 AM
kflory
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't say I have ever been so lucky in the 993.

As others have said, CA is revenue driven and I have even gotten tickets that technically don't go on your record, just generate local revenue (county I think).

Fortunately my wife has been very forgiving with me getting tickets. Last time I came home and had to tell her, she said "yeah, it happens, not to me, but it happens". She has never gotten a ticket, ever, which she never misses the opportunity to remind me.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jhale
Definitely your lucky day! Was it a DPD officer? I have been watching the DPD officers from my office window set up speed traps by the on/off ramps the last few weeks. Two motorcycle officers sit on top of an overpass (one metering Southbound the other Northbound) while a line of squad cars are hiddle around a turn by the on ramps. They have nailed at least 20 cars a day. Watch out on I-25 & Evans.
I drive through there a lot and need to install my Laser Interceptor on my 993 TT. I kept it when I sold my 997 4S. The device saved my rear many, many times including once again the weekend before I sold it (I was on I-25 at C470).

That set up with cops on the overpass and and a team of cops pulling the cars over is what I've heard is being done in TX. They hit you from the rear after you go past the underpass because you can't see them and have no advance knowledge they are there. My Laser Interceptor has only the front transceiver, I guess I need to put a tranceiver on the rear to guard agains the overpass trick. Maybe I'll put my older Laser Interceptor on my SUV and try the Blinder on my 993 TT.

The thing that really annoys me is the cops are fishing in a bucket. There are many "work zones" where fines are doubled and work is never being done and the speed limit drops to as low as 45 on the Interstate. Traffic is moving at 60 to 65, it's actually dangerous to drive 45 in traffic moving 65mph. Which car do you think they will shoot first a 911 or a minivan?

Quick Reply: Pulled over for the first time in my 993...