Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone have their kids to Skip Barber new driver school?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it depends on your budget, but the Street Survival courses are a great way to educate your kids without spending a ton of money.
The PCA in San Diego also has a three day class for $350 or so that is outstanding. A day at the AX will also teach your kids a ton about car control plus you can spend a weekend in San Diego

Just the other day an entire re-treaded tire came apart from a semi in front of me. My wife screamed, I braked to plant the tires, swerved out of the way and got back on the throttle as the shredded tire bounced and went right by where I was. Three years ago before joinging the PCA I probably would have either spun or taken the tire straight in the windshield... which could have been fatal.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I plan on having my kids do autocross as well. However, you have to watch it and make sure you don't make them overconfident. It's a fine line...
Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Just the other day an entire re-treaded tire came apart from a semi in front of me. My wife screamed, I braked to plant the tires, swerved out of the way and got back on the throttle as the shredded tire bounced and went right by where I was. Three years ago before joinging the PCA I probably would have either spun or taken the tire straight in the windshield... which could have been fatal.
Peter,
I'll can use this as a good example at the upcoming school! Or if you are coming down to help out, you should work accident avoidance and tell the story yourself!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Street Survival - both my kids went through it at Candlestick, highly recommended. My son next did an introductory track course with HookedOnDriving at Thunderhill.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I want to sign my 15 YO son up for this, but it appears that neither of my SUVs qualifies. Bummer. I guess we could borrow my MIL's Mercedes. "Hey Grandmother, can we take your car to the track?"

(No, my son cannot drive the RUF.)
Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Good for you Dad for thinking about a course for your youngster!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have instructed for several street survivals and think it should be mandatory for 16 yo's. My now 18 yo went thru it and had a blast. then she did auto-x and "graduated" to a DE this spring. she leaves for school in B'ham in a couple weeks and we are planning to meet at Barber sometime for a DE.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put both my kids through Skippy's driving course at Laguna but only after they had about 2 years of driving experience. I think doing that school as a basic learning course is overkill but later, when they think they're as good as an F1 driver, the Barber course takes them back toward reality a peg or two. I thought it was worth it, especially for kids like mine that don't have snow where they can learn how to drive in the slippery stuff.

Quick Reply: Anyone have their kids to Skip Barber new driver school?