Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

It's party time folks. SUPER excited. Just ordered new floor mats :o) Yahooooooo!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default It's party time folks. SUPER excited. Just ordered new floor mats :o) Yahooooooo!

So, I've had a fairly beat up driver's floor mat for 2 years now. I've been dreaming of the day when I could get new mats. Job's going MUCH better. Wife's gone. Car's getting lots of service work lately to fix pretty much every little thing that's wrong with it. So I got to thinking, it's time. Yes, it's TIME!

Of course I searched every car mat thread on this 993 Rennlist board going back 4 years (like many of us do before making a buying decision for our cars). Strangely enough I was posting on one of those threads about Lloyd mats a couple of years ago. I don't even remember doing this.

I've tried black floor mats before for this car with the C4S lettering in red that got trashed in just a few months. Very disappointing. Nothing worse than a filthy dirty red C4S on a mat when you get in a car.

That's why I switched to OEM mats with the Porsche logo in black on black. Perfect for me. Nothing to get dirty. It just gets linty, or stuff falls on it and I brush it off and shake it out and it's back to looking nice and clean and black again. I would sometimes shake it out many times a day as I do sales calls all day in my car sometimes and track all sorts of leaves and dirt onto the mats. I like it clean.

It's time. I looked at Paragon and a bunch of other places recommended in old threads. Some of these places have convoluted web sites and I can't even find our 993 Lloyd mats on them.

My buddy works at a Audi dealer now and gets Porsche parts for cheap if I need them. I actually haven't gotten any yet as my indie just orders everything himself.

I thought he could get the OEM mats but when he checked, he said they don't even carry them anymore, and this is a MAJOR dealer in Tyson's Corner VA. Don't carry our floor mats?!? I guess because my car is 17 years old, the dealer doesn't feel the need to stock them nor order them for customers. Or maybe he can't get them at all. But other dealers can? That I don't get...

I found this website I'm getting my mats from by typing "993 Lloyds Porsche Car Mat" in google. It was the first link. I called them, bought this over the phone and they'll be here in a week or so. I haven't been this thrilled in a long time about a car purchase.

It beats spending the money I recently spent on an oil change (about $300 from my indie) or getting a new fan motor for my squealing one in my car. Nothing worse than a fan that squeals all day while driving around town. He lubed or oiled it or whatever recently and it went away for a week or so but now it's back with a vengeance. I have to have it fixed. It's not sexy, like new floor mats. I'm sure you get my drift.

http://shop.autoanything.com/floor-m...A4395A0A0.aspx

They're black, the medium plush with the Carrera C4S insignia. I was all set to get the insignia in BLACK embroidery, but the guy said that it would be so hard to see, he recommended at least getting the dark grey for contrast. I wasn't going to do this, but we talked about it for a while, kind of like the way a therapist talks to a patient. We discussed the positives and negatives of dark grey over the much more stealthy black embroidered logo and I decided to step out of the box, do something different, do "the opposite" just like that Seinfeld episode, and risk the grey color and all the dirt it will possibly attract.

Will it get trashed after a few months and I'll regret not getting the black on black? Maybe, but for $115, I can just get the black on black and sell my grey on black after cleaning it up a bit.

I only got the fronts. My rears black mats are fine and in perfect condition so I'm leaving them as is. Yep, $115 delivered (includes the 10% off right now as they're running a special, and free shipping). Buying online can be really fun. I much prefer talking to someone on the phone than doing it on their website. I was already to pull the trigger online when I realized they had a 1800# and they were open for another 30 minutes (till 11am).

He guided me in a direction that I wouldn't have taken while doing it online (grey embroidery instead of ultra stealthy black). Yes, it was edgy going with the dark grey. I think it will work.

I notice that so few people actually post pics of stuff when replying to threads. Like the floor mats thread, so few people posted pics of their mats. I guess it's kind of a pain to post a pic. I haven't got mine yet but when I do, oh... you KNOW I'll be posting pics.

Cheers,
Steve R

This is silver over black. Mine will be charcoal over black. I do realize that silver looks better, but it won't stay clean long. Mines a daily driver. Dark colors wear better.

Here's the charcoal color for the contrasting embroidery

This is how thick it is. The luxe (plusher one) didn't have embroidery as an option. It was sewn on a piece of fabric and attached, which I didn't want. Though the thought of having super plush mats in my car is super appealing.

Looks like a better backing than OEM (by far) to me. Better gripping than my foam backing

Underside

Lloyd Mats Ultimat Custom Floor Mats
SKU 3355204
Part # UM5
1 $128.85 Ships between 07/09/2012 - 07/11/2012
UPS Ground $128.85
Subtotal $128.85
Shipping $0.00
Discount $12.89
Tax $0.00
Grand Total $115.97

These should look good with the new XM Radio and Speakers I just ordered. They will hopefully be here by Saturday and I'll have them installed.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 07-04-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a pair of the Weathertech rubber tray mats that I use during the winter months and reserve the embroidered mats for events where people are paying attention to the interior appointments.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about that exact alpine radio system but I wanna keep the car pretty much stock so I went against it!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gt3 Racer RS
I thought about that exact alpine radio system but I wanna keep the car pretty much stock so I went against it!
Yeah, I have to have XM and Bluetooth so this was the best option I could find. Didn't like the Sony, Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer and others as much. This was only $257 delivered, new in box so I went for it.

The component speakers replace the ones I have in the car now and were only $75 delivered. The XM tuner is free when I subscribe for $8 a month (have it in the other car for $7 a month). I'm sick of the crappy DC radio stations so this is what my choices boiled down to.

I would have course wanted a McIntosh stereo instead but I can't afford it and I don't believe it comes with XM and Bluetooth anyway... The car stereo store is charging me $190 to install everything.

Didn't go with an amp or rear speakers. I can always add them later if the need is there. I mostly just listen to CNN, Stars Too talk radio on XM and occasional the Grateful Dead channel so speaker and sound perfection isn't key here.

Steve
Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had LLoyd mats in the past and loved them. Just thought that I would mention that FD Motorsports also carries them and Im pretty certain that they would price match. No affiliation just a supporter of RL sponsors and all around good guys

http://fdmotorsports.net/lloyd-mats
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Just thought that I would mention that FD Motorsports also carries them and Im pretty certain that they would price match. No affiliation just a supporter of RL sponsors and all around good guys

+993
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraX
I have had LLoyd mats in the past and loved them. Just thought that I would mention that FD Motorsports also carries them and Im pretty certain that they would price match. No affiliation just a supporter of RL sponsors and all around good guys

Thx for the "too late" clarification on that. It's funny, I read a bunch of posts and people recommended "FD" for Lloyd mats. Because I don't check into this site a whole lot, and I'm not good with nebulous acronyms, FD meant nothing to me so I didn't pursue it any further. FD? Fruitful Discovery? Fantastic Deals? F'in Delicious?

I wish we used less acronyms (in life in general) so layman like me could understand things better. I'll bookmark "FD" now so I have them for future use.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

NP Steve.......I mean no problem
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife bought me Lloyd's mats (super plush?) for my birthday. They are great mats and she loves them on her bare feet during our road adventures. BTW, your speaker purschase is great.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

Sup Steve! I got my Lloyds from FD also. Still look great after two years. I like the Alpine you picked there. What vendor did you get the speakers from?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Say no to Pioneer speakers. Say no to most Japanese mid-priced speakers, period.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

Any suggestions Mike?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Sup Steve! I got my Lloyds from FD also. Still look great after two years. I like the Alpine you picked there. What vendor did you get the speakers from?
The stereo store that I'm having do the install recommended these Pioneer Speakers. Seriously, for talk radio and some Grateful Dead and occasional Jazz music, they'll be just fine. I'm actually totally happy with what's in there now and it may be 17 years old but they recommended upgrading with the new HU (Head Unit for those that may not know what HU means)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PIONEER-...#ht_3208wt_982
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 538 Posts

COCOMats rock..........
Old 07-05-2012, 12:56 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Any suggestions Mike?
Yep. Dynaudio, Focal. Some like Hertz. I have Focals in my car but the sound is not all that important to me.

Quick Reply: It's party time folks. SUPER excited. Just ordered new floor mats :o) Yahooooooo!