Sponsored by:

Share my turbo front bumper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Share my turbo front bumper conversion

I recently completed a euro turbo front bumper conversion on my 97 NB. The process went pretty smooth except some minor issues. I bought my bumper cover from Gert. He was a pleasure to deal with via email. All questions and transactions were answered within hours. He shipped the cover on Friday and it was on my doorstep Monday afternoon. I did ask Gert if I needed the front portion of the wheel well liners for a WB. He stated I did not, and Porsche did not use them when they did the conversions back in the day.

I used foam pipe insulation to make up for the gap in the front panel with the new wider bumper cover. This seal is kind of important, as it prevents ram air from the front bumper openings from bypassing the cooler.

It is hard to see in this photo, but, the radius on the new cover where it meets the fender was slightly tighter than the original cover. Naturally I discovered this after the cover was painted. This made the gap too narrow at the radius and it was impossible to fit the hard rubber factory seam gasket. So, I bought marine grade weatherstripping from Sears Hardware. It is hollow foam rubber that fit perfectly into the gap between the bumper cover and fender.

I did end up buying the inner fender liners for a WB for the perfect factory fit. It is possible to use the NB liners. But you have to do some trimming to make them fit at the bottom of the WB bumper cover. And it would be difficult to make the joint look factory.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice work!

Anymore info. on the marine grade weatherstripping from Sears? Part number, etc. would be appreciated for future reference.

Tony
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

LUV the look

Good work, Wolfgang!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
Nice work!

Anymore info. on the marine grade weatherstripping from Sears? Part number, etc. would be appreciated for future reference.

Tony
Ahw crap, I do not have the package anymore. It is this product; http://www.sears.com/frost-king-v25w...8007P?prdNo=17
However, it came in black. I cut it down the middle and separated the bulbs.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!

Quick Reply: Share my turbo front bumper conversion