Sponsored by:

Cluch Master Cylinder Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cluch Master Cylinder Flush

Second time in two years now (two year intervals) and I get darkend liquid initially flowing to clearer as the newer fluid cycles through.

Is this of concern or normal? Is this any indication that seals or internals are starting to deteriorate?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

that's normal - and the point of flushing the system. there are a number of lines, o-rings, etc that with constant heating of the brake system during use, "pollute" if you will, the brake fluid. and brake fluid naturally absorbs moisture. that's why routine flushing is important. be sure to flush the whole system including the slave cylinder, each caliper, the booster pump (if a C4, turbo, etc).
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I suspect the main culprit is the rubber hose that goes from the hard line attached to the undercarriage to the slave cyl. itself, it's most likely about 15 years old. To me it's understandable it would be decaying and causing the fluid to darken.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by stace
that's normal - and the point of flushing the system. there are a number of lines, o-rings, etc that with constant heating of the brake system during use, "pollute" if you will, the brake fluid. and brake fluid naturally absorbs moisture. that's why routine flushing is important. be sure to flush the whole system including the slave cylinder, each caliper, the booster pump (if a C4, turbo, etc).
Spot-on!!!!

Brake/clutch fluids are hygroscopic and darken as they absorb moisture over time. When moisture levels reach 4-6%, the system should be flushed with new fluid.

I have an expensive Leica instrument made specifically for measuring moisture content and the fluid starts looking more like root beer when you see 4%.

Good maintenance extends the life of master and slave cylinders.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I suspect the main culprit is the rubber hose that goes from the hard line attached to the undercarriage to the slave cyl. itself, it's most likely about 15 years old. To me it's understandable it would be decaying and causing the fluid to darken.
A brand new OE hose and slave cylinder will also darken brand new ATE fluid in only a few days time... (it was maybe ~5 days in my case)
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM
DanL993
button queen

OK guys, thanks. I do the maintenance regularly but can't find any citation in the fairly complete maintenance records that this was ever done prior to two years ago!! I was concerned that only the clutch fluid was dark (root beer color is right on Steve!). I will press on now. Thanks again to all.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

The clutch slave cyl. is the lowest part of the system, so the crud and moisture naturally winds up there.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ I think your clutch slave is riding mighty low.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by 993BillW
^^^ I think your clutch slave is riding mighty low.

Yeah! Mine sits on top of the transmission, well above the level of any of the calipers. In fact I balanced a work light on top of my left rear caliper to shine upwards on the job. Drained the clutch cylinder last BTW.

Quick Reply: Cluch Master Cylinder Flush