993 buyer checklist

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993 buyer checklist

Good evening everyone.
First let me say there are some awesome looking cars on this post! Kudos to you all
I am currently looking to get a 993 and wanted to check with all of you loyal enthusiasts if you had a buyers checklist?
Any help is greatly appreciated
P.S. If there is anyone selling a 993 send me a PM.
Thanks
K
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

I just went through this process. I started by reading this book:

Porsche Essential Companion:993 Porsche Essential Companion:993

Then I read a ton of posts here on Rennlist and read a bunch of stuff on the Internet like:

993 Buying Guide

or this:

GT Porsche Buying Guide
You can download the pdfs.

There is a lot of good stuff out there but it is all a little incomplete so I pieced the info together.

Then I went to Autotrader and did the broadest search for location possible for the United States and for the years 1993-1998.

That really helped me with pricing. Hope that helps.

Michael
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Michael Air
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this source quite useful (based in UK), worth buying the interactive online books, but they don't work on Mac.

The author Adrian Crawford also has some interesting vids on YouTube.

http://911secrets.com
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 AM
repguyMN
Racer

Thanks to you both for your response. I will take a look at what you suggested. I have been doing some of this already and I have to agree does make you more informed.
I hope to join this fine group of 993 owners soon
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I inspected a few 993 lately before my purchase (993tt). The buying guides mentionned by Xavier are quite usefull. Your inspection will vary if you look at NA versus bi-turbos. Strongly recommend doing a PPI with a reputable shop independent from the seller. I made my own checklist when I was doing my "first look" and test drives. It was helpfull to compare one car to another. Your criterias may vary but here is the list I made for myself:

- CarFax available? It not, get the VIN and order one. This does not have that much value but it if anything comes bad from there, you may just turn around and go to the next.

- Ask before you go:
- How many previous owners?
- Last owner have the car since X years (somebody that keep a car for a long time normally take care of it...)
- Car history (bills, revisions, etc), maintenance at a reputable shop?
- Was it tracked? If so, you may have more checks to do at PPI
- Car mods? Some modifications are welcomed (ex: PSS9/PSS10 suspension) some mods may be bad for you and just make you feel driving a frankenstein... This is upon your preferences tough.
- Car factory options? Listed in teh manual or the tag inside the luggage lid. Some options are very nice and valuable. Decode them here http://www.kindel.com/porsche/options/options.asp

- Items when you see the car:
- Tags and VIN (they should all be there and match VIN, options, etc)
- Paint code in the luggage compartment, driver fender. Should match the color unless respray.
- While you're un the luggage compartment, look at accident traces, respray. Look under the battery for acid leaks and/or rust, etc.
- Any rust in the bottom corners of the Windshields?
- Door latches (should not "crack hard" when opening)
- Push on rear bumper with you hands, should be tight in place
- Oil leaks under the car?
- Hood and lid dampers retain well?
- Electric spoiler condition (extend/retract well).
- When electric spoiler is extend, is the wall in place and in good condition? The wall is the plastic piece that extend under the spoiler. It make sure the air is properly trapped and pushed into the engine compartment.
- Electric. Ask the owner for defects and test them all. (all lights, dash, sunroof, windows, mirrors, etc)
- Visually check the brake rotors, a big lip outside the rotor may mean they are getting old.
- Tires, do they fit the car (size, rims) and do the need replacement soon.
- Turn the from weels and check for even tire wear (alignment, track toe, etc)
- Look at car jacking points. Most of the cars I saw had at least 1 bent from jacking point (flad bed guys tend to pull from there instead of putting the puller :-(

- Items when you test drive the car:
- Idle stable around 800rpm
- Exhaust smoke and/or smell? A little "puf" at start is not bad tough.
- Oil pressure good? (critical to a Air cooled engine good health)
- Oil temperature should raise around 8 o'clock and stabilize (unless you're driving hard or a very hot day)
- Driving: Straight line, no shaking, suspension does not knock hard in the back.

- Ultimately, you should make a PPI with a reputable shop you trust. Ideally somebody that maintain 993, 964 will know what to look for. PPI price may vary (budget 250$ per PPI but you may need more if you go deeper and less if everything is obviously fine). That investment may be the first good move in the p-car world.

Keep us posted, always interesting to see other experience and car!

Pierre
Old 06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello and, first of all, congratulations on your decision to buy a 993. You are on your way to a glorious automotive adventure.

And vetting potential cars, until you find the perfect car for you, is an interesting and memorable part of the journey to 911 ownership.

I used the guide of Adrian Crawford when I bought my first Porsche (a 964) and when I up-traded to my 993.

Adrian's guides are by far the best and most detailed I have come across. You will tap in to his wast experience in buying and selling used Porsches over many years.

Also, buy Adrian Streathers fantastic book about the 993. It is a a must! Simnply every 993 owners' bible. It will provide great reading as you get to know your car better.

Happy hunting!

Jens
Old 06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Thank you very much Pierre and Jens for your responses. Very helpful indeed
Thanks to those that also sent me info on their 993s for sale. I should clarify what I am interested in.
Coupe
95 or 96
mileage 70-120k.
I am looking for something that I feel good driving on the street and possible DEs. My budget is also part of the search. $28k to $32k is where I am at right now(so the wife tells me).
Currently I have a 89 951S that I am selling so I do have some experience in the Porsche products. Love the 951S but life is short and it is time to explore the wonderful 993
Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Two of the best things I did when buying my first Porsche.

1. Joined Rennlist
2. Bought from a Rennlister

Quick Reply: 993 buyer checklist