Sponsored by:

:: ECS Tuning :: The Truth About the "Small Filter"

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default :: ECS Tuning :: The Truth About the "Small Filter"

Thanks to a large amount of misinformation, and a lack of factual knowledge in the community at large, we decided to do a little experiment to determine which had the best manufacturing qualities.

Prior to this experiment, the only information I had to go on was hearsay, and this led to some conclusions that turned out to be incorrect. Some forum goers had indicated that the Porsche filter was labeled "Made in U.S.A.", and was assembled by Purolator (A MANN company). This may or may not be true, however, the logical leap was to assume the Purolator assembled filter was relabeled a MANN product. This experiment will preclude those former notions without fail.

First, we began with the three filters; A MANN filter, a Porsche OEM filter, and a Mahle filter all numbered 99310720303.
(These filters will always be pictured from left to right in this order.)

As you can see from the pictures above, the MANN and Mahle have a similar outward appearance, while the Porsche filter is evidently different. The dimpled canister, as shown in the third picture, combined with a more substantial thread and cap set it apart as incongruous.

The next step in the process was to put each filter on a lathe to properly cut them apart for internal analysis.

Again, it is the Porsche filter that appears different, and again, the MANN and Mahle filters appear of the same manufacture.

This exploded view shows that the primary differences between OEM and aftermarket are internal.

The Porsche branded filter canister itself you can rapidly see a lower pleat count, which would flow slightly less volume, and filter slightly worse. The two aftermarket units have a higher surface area with which to filter, and would, in a perfect world, filter better for a longer period of time.

The bypass spring is, again, clearly different in the Porsche filter. Again, this one appears slightly worse. The flat spring, while cost efficient, and capable, can be temperamental. If overextended, for example, in a high pressure situation, the spring can simply fail and allow oil to flow through the canister for the rest of it's use life. A coil spring, like the one used in either of the two aftermarket filters, would rebound to a useable position after the high pressure event had passed.

Most striking of all, however, is the anti-drainback valve. This valve is surprisingly non-existent in the Mahle or MANN branded filters.

In the canister design itself, the Porsche unit uses a slightly thinner wall, yet the threaded end of the cap shows a higher thread count, and may encourage better thread engagement. In addition, the threaded cap of the housing is more substantial, and would be less prone to bending if overtightened.

Our numerical findings are as follows:

Housing Length:
Porsche - 98.6mm
MANN - 99.8mm
Mahle - 99.5mm

Housing Outside Diameter:
Porsche - 76.4mm
MANN - 76.1mm
Mahle - 76.1mm

Filter Cartridge Height:
Porsche - 75.7mm
MANN - 76.1mm
Mahle - 76.4mm

Filter Cartridge Outside Diameter:
Porsche - 68.0mm
MANN - 68.4mm
Mahle - 69.1mm

Number of Filter Pleats
Porsche - 45
MANN - 67
Mahle - 66

You may come to your own conclusions, however I will voice my own as well.

First, I feel that the Porsche filter provides sub-standard filtering and high pressure protection. With the high weight oils that some owners like to use, a pressure spike high enough to bend the spring would not be uncommon.

Second, the little rubber anti-drainback valve is the cause of your concern. Either of the aftermarket units will empty themselves of oil, which leaks back into the crankcase, seeps past the piston rings, and causes smoke on startup. The Porsche branded filter, alone among these three, will seal itself from any backward flow through the filter.

In the meantime, MANN filter 99310720303 has been removed from our site until we can come up with a solution to the start-smoke issue with this filter. The small MANN filter has also been removed from each of our 993 service kits, and has been replaced with the Porsche branded filter at no additional cost to the end consumer.

If you have added an aftermarket anti-drainback valve exterior to the filter, you are in no danger of startup smoke.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Interesting, thanks for that!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the effort to do this. Personally I'm not that concerned about a little start up smoke as long as I know (or believe I know) it's not the result of an engine problem.

Secondly, how is the oil getting out even w/out the anti-drainback valve? the way these filters are installed in the engine should keep the oil in the filter. I understand siphoning, but it would take a good bit of vacuum to siphon out 20w50 weight oil.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Interesting, thanks for that!
Agree and thanks for taking the time to research this.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks so much for the research on this!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

great factual data...something sometimes missing.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Which way does the oil flow? From the outside edge and then into the center?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting. Any idea about other types of filters, such as K&N? Would be nice to get the benefits of the Mann with the anti-drainback feature of the OEM. You mention aftermarket anti-drainback. Where does one get one of those?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

How much oil can drain back into the crankcase with the Mahle filter, and where is it coming from? Are we talking a couple tablespoons or quarts?

I'm wondering if this oil drainback issue is hypothesis, or if you've somehow confirmed it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks again, ECS.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

So you think the benefit of the anti-drainback valve in the Porsche filter outweighs the potential negatives of the filtration ability and the high pressure spring?? I would have thought a little smoke on startup was not an engine-threatenning condition, whereas the other two potential issues....?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Does the pictogram on the Mahle filter indicate that the filter should be filled with oil before mounting? If one doesn't do that, is pulling the DME relay and cranking the engine over until oil pressure comes up a good alternative? What does ECS recommend on this point?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Does the pictogram on the Mahle filter indicate that the filter should be filled with oil before mounting? If one doesn't do that, is pulling the DME relay and cranking the engine over until oil pressure comes up a good alternative? What does ECS recommend on this point?
I think that's just stating to lubricate the sealing surface prior to installation.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
So you think the benefit of the anti-drainback valve in the Porsche filter outweighs the potential negatives of the filtration ability and the high pressure spring?? I would have thought a little smoke on startup was not an engine-threatenning condition, whereas the other two potential issues....?
On the turbos, the Porsche filter is used for this exact reason. More here: https://rennlist.com/forums/2431514-post1.html

On the NA cars, it is not critical... we use Mann or Mahle on those

Neat write up! Love the details.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
So you think the benefit of the anti-drainback valve in the Porsche filter outweighs the potential negatives of the filtration ability and the high pressure spring??
Keep in mind that there is a secondary oil tank filter, so even under primary filter failure conditions, your oil would remain filtered, and not exactly harmful. Not ideal, but not catastrophic.

In addition, I would not say that the OEM filtration quality is detrimental, just that it is sub-par. If the Porsche unit contained the same quantity of pleats, it would be a non-issue, as the paper quality is great.

Quick Reply: :: ECS Tuning :: The Truth About the "Small Filter"