Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

HID Replacement bulb question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

"Work" to a certain extent? Seems to me like headlights are not the place to scrimp on. I'd hate to get stuck somewhere at night with no lights, or have one out and get a ticket or cause an accident. It seems like you got your $35 worth if you're happy.

Originally Posted by Halcyon
I got a $35 kit off of ebay. After maybe like 10 starts later, one of the bulb sometimes (50% of the time) doesn't turn on anymore. I figure I just need to make sure my lights are on before I roll out of the driveway. I didn't really bother to figure out if it was the ballast or the bulb but in the end, I got an extra free ballast from a very responsive customer service agent ( that emailed me back in minutes , waaaay after working hours (like midnight in US) ) . So, $35 for three ballast total and two bulbs, and super easy wiring. Although I wouldn't really suggest these for daily use ( i don't drive mine daily/nightly) , they do "work" to a certain extent and I'm pretty happy with it for the amount of money i spent xD as least i don't have to deal with ddmtuning's customer service that i have heard numerous stories of...
Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billhart
Djantlive: 300 bucks is reasonable if it is high quality, i was actually surprised that the Internet cheapie system i bought circa 2007 performed as well as it did. funny, you mention lambo- i had a 6.0 Diablo for several years, and as I remember, it shared headlite assemblies with Nissan and the 'factory' HID units were relatively cheap compared to what Porsche gets for them, say 500 bucks vs. 2700 dollars.
Thanks.
Yeah, it's surprising that low priced HID can work well. When the OEM HID system went bad, I decided to go aftermarket after seeing a friend's Lambo with the Morimoto. Price was $500 installed and performed better than OEM ones to the point that I can see the road again.

The 911 lights are so easy to access. Gallardo was a pain which involved taking out the wheel liners. Took the shop 2 hrs to do. It's important for me to get the good reliable HID setup for this reason.

If you want your HID to last, don't use it during the day. They wear out after 4-7 years of typical driving, depending on the amount of usage.

Quick Reply: HID Replacement bulb question