Sponsored by:

Window Mechanism Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 PM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Window Mechanism Noise

I picked my car up this morning from the body shop that dealt with the door strap issue, in doing so they had to remove the door. After I got home I put the window down only to hear what sounded like a coffee can with marbles in it. Window goes up and down fine, just makes a bit of noise now that it didn't before (or maybe I am now just noticing it?). I pulled the door panel and looked things over and felt around in there for anything loose or misaligned, could not fine anything. Not sure if it is the window regulator / motor going out, could of been that jostling it around in a 16 year old car hastened it's demise and was the culprit? Any ideas?

Last edited by coreseller; 06-17-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

The majority of 993's have the same issue, and the noise is sometimes loud, and sometimes goes away
The culprit and how I resolved the issue is in the pictures.
sandpaper is 2000 grit
remember to pass it in the snail , and re-pass it 180* degrees opposite, for the other face.
I painted the spring polyesther paint and MoS2 grease after.
You have to take the window out for this.
For easy fix, WD40 or the like, on the spring , without dismantling anything through the firewall...
Attached Images      
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Geolab, I truly appreciate the help. After seeing the spring in your pictures, I can imagine that it is almost for sure the culprit by the noise I'm hearing. I will try the WD40 or silicone spray route, removing the window does not sound like fun. Thanks again......Mark.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Hello Mark, the exact sound is the rusted inside surfaces friction of the 'escargot' or snail spring.
It is painted originally as in picture.
But as the door inside, gets really wet with water, the spring rusts
You could witness my initial solution years ago with WD40, with the leaked rust on the frame, below the spring.
regards -george
Old 09-08-2024, 09:54 AM
dekorum
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you see this snail spring from the large open slot at the bottom of the door when you put the window all the way down? I am experiencing a similar binding sound which seems like might be the same issue. I want to try to clean and lube it without removing the window regulator from the inside of the door itself.

Quick Reply: Window Mechanism Noise