Cab top wear when put in manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab top wear when put in manual mode

Hi cab top owners!

Ever notice the rapid deterioration of the cab top once put in manual mode? I've notice more wear / rubbing marks in the rear window and on the top that i never noticed when attached to the motors.

Here is my theory: When the top is attached to the motors, the top stays tight when it's down compared to looseness it has when in manual mode.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 PM
billapo
Advanced

No, but I put a towel between window folds and then carefully hand fold it back.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had my car in manual mode for more then 6 years and not noticed any abnormal wear; however I ALWAYS use the boot cover and that effectively holds the top down in place and will limit any rubbing etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 PM
MM993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing for me. "I ALWAYS use the boot cover and that effectively holds the top down in place and will limit any rubbing etc". I also smooth out the plastic window when folding it down. Overall no issues for the past year since going to manual.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 AM
sawitt
Rennlist Member

+1

My car has been in manual mode for about 4 years now and I haven't noticed any significant wear. I am careful when I put it down, particularly with the rear window. I just fold it while I'm lowering the top, don't use a towel or anything. I always use the boot though I think that protects the headliner more than anything else.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I use the 'pillow" that Mid America sells for the Corvette ragtop. At one time there was one sold for Porsches, but I have not seen on for sale in a long while. IIRC, Automotion handled them back when I got one the first time. You could also put a clean microfiber or cotton towel on the window to keep it from rubbing on itself.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Need to be careful that the top folds properly. If the elastic on the "arm" are worn, they can puch holes in the canvas. I also use a towel for the back window and always use the boot. Otherwise, I cannot imagine any difference between manual and power. Now I do make sure to raise the top at least overnight every couple of weeks to stretch the top. If you were more likely to raise the top in power mode, could make a difference.

Quick Reply: Cab top wear when put in manual mode