Sponsored by:

AC Evaporator Fan On after ignition - Relay cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
initial
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Evaporator Fan On after ignition - Relay cleaning

Steaming hot in Ottawa yesterday. Shut the 993 ignition and the AC evaporator fan stayed on.
I ignored it and went in for dinner.
Why did I ignore it, because I thought 993's may just do that because of my past experience with other vehicles.
1. Because my wifes Volvo S60 has a fan kick in at any time of the day during stinky hot days.
2. The 1977 Fiat x1/9 I just unloaded last week also had a fan that would kick in after ignition was off to cool down the carburator in order to prevent the gas from boiling away.

Came out after dinner for a walk and the fan was still running... Diagnosed it to the relay by swapping out with the Oil Cooler fan relay. I hit the relay, and it now appears to work properly.

So, it would appear the relay still works, it just might of gotten a little dirty. I opened it up and everything looks good.

Any suggestions on properly cleaning the contacts so that I don't get the problem again?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Spray it with contact cleaner...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM
initial
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course! Thanks! I even had some electrical contact cleaner in the garage.. I'm going to blame it on getting older.

The tension on the two springs looked good. I sprayed both contacts in the relay and then used a can of compressed air. I pulled the Oil cooler relay out as well, opened it and up cleaned it up as a precaution.

Good as new...

Quick Reply: AC Evaporator Fan On after ignition - Relay cleaning