Sponsored by:

flashing immobilizer light

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default flashing immobilizer light

Driving my daughter to her last final of freshman year in high school, the immobilizer light flashed at me. Did not turn car off there and drove to work. It kept flashing. Got in the garage, stopped the car and turned it off and then tried to start it. Started right up and light did not flash. I tried it again, but this locked car and unlocked it. Started right up, no flashing.

What's up with that?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

A flashing Immobilizer lamp usually indicates a loss of communications between the DME and Immobilizer control unit. It can also signal a failure of the Immobilizer ECU itself.

Time to plug in a PST-2 or Hammer to see whats going on.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. What is a PST-2 or Hammer? I'm assuming they are diagnostic devises...

Since it was flashing and is no longer, is this a one-off or the start down the path towards self-destruction? Will the PST-2 tell me that? Since it flashed after the starting this morning but would not repeat itself upon restart, does that mean loss of communication that was "resolved"? Do we have any idea?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Thanks. What is a PST-2 or Hammer? I'm assuming they are diagnostic devises...
Yessir,..those are two versions of the Factory scan tools which are needed to interrogate the car's control units.

Since it was flashing and is no longer, is this a one-off or the start down the path towards self-destruction? Will the PST-2 tell me that? Since it flashed after the starting this morning but would not repeat itself upon restart, does that mean loss of communication that was "resolved"? Do we have any idea?
If its no longer flashing, the problem resolved itself, however it may have stored a code and the PST-2 is needed to retrieve that.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. When I got the light, I turned around and got it in the garage right away before shutting it down. Started right back up w/o flashing. The car had been sitting awhile and cranked slowly, so I thought the battery may have been low and some of the electronics got upset.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Steve. I have driven the car a few times (3 trips) since this morning and nothing abnormal has happened. I suspect there are little gremlins in the electrical system, like Vince's situation. Occasionally when I put on the turn signal, the radio goes silent for a second, like there is an electronic interuption. Ordered a new ground strap and will swap out the voltage regulator soon, as those both are original I think.

Quick Reply: flashing immobilizer light