993 Forum 1995-1998

Steering wheel off center after new tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering wheel off center after new tires

The title pretty much says it all. I just put on 4 new Michelin pilot super sports on my 96 Carerra 2. 18" wheels, stock tire sizes. Before the new tires, the steering wheel was perfectly straight when driving straight down the road. I put on the new tires and immediatley noticed that the steering wheel is off center slightly to the left, about 5 degrees or so. There is no reason why the alignment should be off. I haven't bumped a curb or anything, and the problem started immediately after the new tires were put on. I just can't understand how new tires could cause this. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Rob.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you let a tire shop remove your wheels and change the tires? Remember, they like to sell alignments, so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave a couple quick turns on a tie rod so you'd have to come back, hat in hand, and say "shucks i guess i needed that alignment after all."

FWIW, i would never ever let a tire shop turn a wrench near my 993.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Rob,

Inflation is correct on all tires?

I would suspect that your new tires have revealed an pre-existing alignment problem that didn't manifest itself with your old tires. I had cars that "drove straight" until I put new tires on them, then required an alignment.

Also, sometimes new tires can have a structural defect that causes pulling to one side, but that's pretty rare these days.

EDIT: The other Eric has a point. My statement was based on the assumption that one can trust those that work on their cars.

Terry
Old 06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

No, I took the wheels minus the center caps and valve stem caps to the tire shop (Costco) in the back of my pickup, so they never touched the car.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:12 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Kwate
No, I took the wheels minus the center caps and valve stem caps to the tire shop (Costco) in the back of my pickup, so they never touched the car.
Me too. Its probably the fact that your older tires didn't allow the car to exhibit a bad alignment. I have another shop doing the alignment now.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

They are mounted to rotate in the proper direction...Correct?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Terry,

The car doesn't pull to one side. It drives straight. The only problem is that the steering wheel is off center. One question I have is if it does need an alignment, can I just have the tie rods re-set to straighten the steering wheel or do I need the whole 4-wheel alignment? The closest place that can do the 4-wheel alignment is 7 hours away.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

I was thinking about the directiontoo, but the tires are non-directional.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:30 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Rob,

Inflation is correct on all tires?

I would suspect that your new tires have revealed an pre-existing alignment problem that didn't manifest itself with your old tires. I had cars that "drove straight" until I put new tires on them, then required an alignment.

Also, sometimes new tires can have a structural defect that causes pulling to one side, but that's pretty rare these days.

EDIT: The other Eric has a point. My statement was based on the assumption that one can trust those that work on their cars.

Terry
The point about inflation here is an important one. I have NEVER had tires installed, even by my indy, and not had them over inflated. I think more pressure is needed to seat the bead and then the pressure is not adjusted afterwards. Since you took the wheels to the shop yourself they had no way of knowing what the correct pressure is.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob Kwate
Terry,

One question I have is if it does need an alignment, can I just have the tie rods re-set to straighten the steering wheel or do I need the whole 4-wheel alignment?
Rob,

Sorry....Once I get past inflation, directionality, same sized tires side-to-side, and pulling or not pulling, I've exhausted my skill set.

Hope you find an answer without the 7-hour drive (Yikes!)

Terry
Old 06-07-2012, 02:54 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If you need a front alignment after checking the above, I wouldn't drive 7 hrs for it. Get some fishing line, long poles, and set up some strings. Or simply buy some toe plates, which are close enough for street use (and good to have anyway. see longacre web site for a nice kit). All you need is to set the front toe (tie rods) so spending 7 hrs plus cost of a 4-wheel alignment is a bit much.

Toe plates would take like 1 hour start to finish.

If you want to be more exact, use the string method:
- Bright color fishing line
- 2 metal conduit poles from home depot, with holes drilled the exact same distance apart on each pole, then run the fishing line thru.
- Cheap tiles ($1 ea) from home depot, with grease between them, to act as turn plates so the front suspension will settle.
- Set the poles on jack stands, square the strings to the wheels front to rear, and duct tape so they don't move.
- Digital caliper ($15 from harbor freight) to measure toe. Adjust as needed.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:14 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I could be wrong here but when I watched Jeff Gamroth's crew at Rothsport do my last alignment / corner balance I remember a fine adjustment at the base of the steering column where it connects to the steering rack. it didn't change the alignment but merely centered the steering wheel. any of our more skilled experts here chime in and validate that? its annoying when the wheel isn't centered!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a long shot....but my steering wheel went off center as the original steering rack went bad.
In fact, I could "relocate" the steering wheel by giving it a hard jerk in either direction.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Stace:

It's funny you mention Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport since Jeff is the one who did the alignment for me. I called Jeff this morning. He said the problem is caused by the new tires "tracking" differently than the old tires. The car is not out of alignment. It's just that the steering wheel is off center from how the new tires are tracking down the road. Jeff said to bring the car in and he would center the steering wheel for me. Stand up guy. When I told him I was 7 hours away, he explained to me how to do it. I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't understand this justification.

If after getting back my car from a shop for new shoes the steering wheel becomes off centered then I would suspect that one of the mechanics had a lot of fun testing the car...

Quick Reply: Steering wheel off center after new tires