993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Fister Karma

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up OT: Fister Karma

We are visiting family in Orange County right now. On the way back from the airport we saw a Fisker Karma. I am not sure how it performs, or how reliable it will be, but it sure looks amazing, better than in the photos.

Any one drive one yet?

--Joe

Last edited by Floodj; 06-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you mean Fisker. They, like many other electric cars, are having battery problems .. evidently they catch on fire ..
http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/en-us
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

You are correct I did mean Fisker.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I've seen 2 or 3 around Tampa. Very cool looking, all I know...
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

good looking car for sure. interior is just plain weird (especially the no leather option), and the performance (apparently) is very lackluster for the power level.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:03 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Word on the street is that Fisker will be the automotive equivalent of Solyndra...government-subsidized company that is producing an overpriced technology that isn't competitive in the marketplace. In fact, they "acquired" an old GM factory in Delaware to produce another car besides the Karma with many "new jobs" promised...they've shelved it evidently. Also just heard that the U.S. government just put thier "loan" on hold. "Public equity investing" is a loser for all.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous car in person - It's probably going to take a couple of years to fully work out the kinks (ie: engine fires, power issues, etc)...but we've gotta start somewhere!

I think I would strongly consider this a contender in 2014/15 for my next 4-door car.

Damien
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I checked out the website, but didn't see a cost. How much are they?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I personally think they are a sham, funded by US taxpayers, that only exist because they build a hybrid car. It seems a longshot to me that they will be a commercial success using traditional economics.

Yes, the styling is good, that is Fisker's claim to fame.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I personally think they are a sham, funded by US taxpayers, that only exist because they build a hybrid car. It seems a longshot to me that they will be a commercial success using traditional economics.

Yes, the styling is good, that is Fisker's claim to fame.
Could not agree more. The business model doesn't support long term success. GM can't unload 40k Volts, what makes anyone think that a 100k hybrid, no matter how good it looks, is something the market (outside of a handful of self-righteous hollywood types) wants, needs, or desires? Oh yeah, the U.S. government does, which means we do...whether we like it or not.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Funny how a harmless post about an electric car can bring out the "political expertise" in some folks.

Good looking car from an unknown car company with a leader who has a strong background in good design. I won't be buying one, but anything that innovates and pushes technology forward is a good thing.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Funny how a harmless post about an electric car can bring out the "political expertise" in some folks.

Good looking car from an unknown car company with a leader who has a strong background in good design. I won't be buying one, but anything that innovates and pushes technology forward is a good thing.
I don't think it's funny that our govt finds it so necessary to jump on any car that has electricity associated with it. In this case, one that will sell in the six figure range. Hardly a "people's car". The market has spoken, in that there are relatively few hybrids sold-and that is with them costing a whole lot less than $100k. Electric cars are pretty much a joke. The last time I looked, there are a LOT of choices in gasoline cars, that get phenomenal mileage.

Technology pushing forward is a good thing, but I think the private sector should provide the capital to build a car like a Fisker.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The market has spoken, in that there are relatively few hybrids sold
Uhh, actually I think Toyota's experience with the Prius has been quite sucessful. Just saying...
Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 AM
andrewlunka
Instructor

There seems to be a lot of the in Vancouver, I have seen 5 or 6.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I don't think it's funny that our govt finds it so necessary to jump on any car that has electricity associated with it. In this case, one that will sell in the six figure range. Hardly a "people's car". The market has spoken, in that there are relatively few hybrids sold-and that is with them costing a whole lot less than $100k. Electric cars are pretty much a joke. The last time I looked, there are a LOT of choices in gasoline cars, that get phenomenal mileage.

Technology pushing forward is a good thing, but I think the private sector should provide the capital to build a car like a Fisker.
Personally I don't have enough at stake to really care either way.

It's a cool looking car. Runs on electricity. The rest I don't really care about

Quick Reply: OT: Fister Karma