Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In Need of a Sanity Check - Tried and Failed to Line Up a Detail at Auto Concierge

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could take your time to inflict my opinion on this but I don't think I could put it much better than msw did.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Look guys, I went to Robert’s shop because I wanted a detail. Robert outlined a laundry list of services that he could provide, some of which were of interest to me, some of which were not. I never lead Robert to believe that I was going to contract him for all of the work he said he could do to the car. I told him on-site, for instance, that I was not interested in several of the things he mentioned he could do, but that I wanted a quote for them anyhow so that I could understand the pricing and decide which services to go with. Look at the e-mail exchange. He quoted me for several items. I told him, "the services I'd like are the exterior detail (incl. paint and trim) and an interior conditioning. Please quote me for those items." Evidently, Robert deduced that this request made me a haggler.

I will re-state the best analogy that I can think of to compare this to. This would be akin to walking into a computer shop, seeing a specific machine configured with so much ram, so much hard drive space, so much memory, etc. with a sticker price of $X. Then, you ask the sales person for a line item price quote to determine how to configure your own machine and being told, "buy this configuration or **** off."

It is not as though I haggled with Robert and said, "can you apply a layer of wax quickly so that I can shave a few bucks?" Rather, I told him, "I don't want you to steam clean my engine. Can you quote me for a detail WITHOUT this service?" Robert didn't like that.

I will make no apologies for sharing this story here. I still think that this is an informative thread for other users here. This type of insight into businesses is part of why I come to this forum. Positive feedback for guys like Darin Fister lead me to his shop, whereas feedback like what I have provided would have me steer clear of shops like Robert's. I informed Robert of the existence of this thread and invited him to share his perspective.

Again, this type of sharing is part of the value of being in a community, at least in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by asofine
+993. And with that, I will bow out of this thread permanently
Or at least for a few hours until I change my mind again

Maybe Robert could smell this personality trait you have? It sure looks like you say one thing, then do another. Not a good trait in a prospective customer. Usually means a big pain in the ***.

Simply put, it seems he decided you were a pain who wouldn't leave well enough alone and handle things well with him. By the way, your contributions to this thread are making it appear to an outsider than he made the right call when he said you were not a good fit for him.

Time to let it go, grasshopper, and move on. Lots of detail guys in the world. Did you make any missteps in the way you've handled this? Focus more on that, and less on him.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msw
to OP...title "In Need of a Sanity Check - Tried and Failed to Line Up a Detail at Auto Concierge"

really?

title should have been...im an immature idiot.

First you go in with a wishy washy not sure what i want attitude...get a quote for 'the works'...that included an hourly rate...and you can't figure out what you want.

btw...he did give you a 'line item' quote...it's $1500 @ $65/hr to do 'the works' you requested he quote you...it's you that need to figure out/prioritize wtf you want done...if you need a 'payment plan' approach to have everything done...you should have given him your priority list and said I am willing to spend $1000 now...get as far along that priority list as you can at $65/hr...and when I am ready for the next 'payment'...I will bring the car back and you can finish the 'rest' of the list. he would complete all the items for the quoted amount...in fact...as he indicated...sometimes he finds 'problems' that require more time than he thought...and still sticks to original quote. you were wasting his time beyond that with other requests.

Robert sized you up...like most smart businesses do...decided you were going to be more trouble than you were worth and told you 'it will not be a good fit.'

from your response...posting like a child here trying to damage his reputation (why else would you name his business/post private emails)...his decision was spot on.

sorry...what exactly did robert do wrong here - he sized up a customer - made the decision it would not be a good fit - and told the customer that. any mature/secure individual would have simply taken their business elsewhere if they felt they were right.

the only profession in which the customer is always right is prostitution...smart businesses...especially smaller ones who can size up their customer and determine who is going to be more trouble than they are worth do quite well...they will have great customers...with repeat business...and their employee turnover will be less as they won't be burned out dealing with problem customers.

i have met robert...have seen his work and it is impeccable. he is a straight shooter/no nonsense guy (iirc military background) that truly takes pride in his work. you could eat off the floor of his shop...i want that guy detailing my car...in fact he is...next friday.

those of you who have made rash decisions to not use his services based on a petty retaliatory thread like this without doing your homework are the ones that will lose out.

OP please don't respond to me...i've got three kids and that's enough.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM
nicknack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe that damn Robert doesn't have a coupon buy one half price and get one free.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 PM
TravisB
Pro

It would be interesting to see a comparison of who's on which side of this situation, and who $1500 is little more than a drop in the bucket to..
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Cheesewiz
Intermediate

Quote:
+993. And with that, I will bow out of this thread permanently

now we have to decide how much of what he has said is true.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Look guys, I went to Robert’s shop because I wanted a detail. Robert outlined a laundry list of services that he could provide, some of which were of interest to me, some of which were not. I never lead Robert to believe that I was going to contract him for all of the work he said he could do to the car. I told him on-site, for instance, that I was not interested in several of the things he mentioned he could do, but that I wanted a quote for them anyhow so that I could understand the pricing and decide which services to go with. Look at the e-mail exchange. He quoted me for several items. I told him, "the services I'd like are the exterior detail (incl. paint and trim) and an interior conditioning. Please quote me for those items." Evidently, Robert deduced that this request made me a haggler.

I will re-state the best analogy that I can think of to compare this to. This would be akin to walking into a computer shop, seeing a specific machine configured with so much ram, so much hard drive space, so much memory, etc. with a sticker price of $X. Then, you ask the sales person for a line item price quote to determine how to configure your own machine and being told, "buy this configuration or **** off."

It is not as though I haggled with Robert and said, "can you apply a layer of wax quickly so that I can shave a few bucks?" Rather, I told him, "I don't want you to steam clean my engine. Can you quote me for a detail WITHOUT this service?" Robert didn't like that.

I will make no apologies for sharing this story here. I still think that this is an informative thread for other users here. This type of insight into businesses is part of why I come to this forum. Positive feedback for guys like Darin Fister lead me to his shop, whereas feedback like what I have provided would have me steer clear of shops like Robert's. I informed Robert of the existence of this thread and invited him to share his perspective.

Again, this type of sharing is part of the value of being in a community, at least in my opinion.
If you're "guilty" of anything, it's airing your laundry here. But we've seen this happen before time and time again with very little retribution, if any. I still don't think you've done much wrong and support your position, FWIW.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

what if the tables were turned? what if customer visits shop. shop owners spends an hour explaining services. shop owner feels the meeting went well. customer decides not to have car detailed, and detailer vents on this forum. my guess is that there'd be little to zero sympathy from this crew. it's a cost of doing business, etc.

i'm not a fan of airing dirty laundry publicly. what's happened here seems to be an owner of a business tipping the notion of 'the customer is always right' on it's ear - becuase he's earned the right to do so. big deal.....move on.

my guess is that the detail business will continue to do just fine - even with this apparant attempt to badmouth the business.....very poor form on the part of the op - in my opinion.

the op should quit hovering over this thread - somehow looking for validation that he's been wronged.....and go find another shop, there's tons out there - remember, it's not splitting atoms. remember though - it's an art form, and if it was easy.......

if i lived in the bay area......Robert would get my business. if I were a detailer in the bay area, i'm not sure i'd have approached this situation any differently.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:08 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisB
It would be interesting to see a comparison of who's on which side of this situation, and who $1500 is little more than a drop in the bucket to..

why would it really matter?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

I was going to watch some TV after dinner.........this is all the drama I need. Goofball, is that popcorn ready yet?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
I was going to watch some TV after dinner.........this is all the drama I need. Goofball, is that popcorn ready yet?
It sure is, Timothy. Pull up a chair and watch the divas claw. Glad my car was in the shop today and I had some free time
Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe Robert could smell this personality trait you have? It sure looks like you say one thing, then do another. Not a good trait in a prospective customer. Usually means a big pain in the ***
+1 Just saw this thread...funny. This is what came to my mind when I read the OP issue. I'd spend a few bucks, buy an orbital sander, some material and detail the damn car yourself and have some fun doing it.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

sometimes just a wash does wanders....

Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

I would go and purchase a DA Polisher and some product for about $300.00 and do the paint correction yourself.
A couple of peaceful day and a perfect paint job.

Plus you can always do a quick fix on any additional scratches.

As some have said it is not rocket science.

In saying all of this, I purchased a Clean Your car, DA Polisher, polish and wax and did it myself.
My car is black and the paint looks like a mirror, the paint has never looked better.

Plus I had 2 day of therapy, very peaceful with a great outcome.

Last edited by Neil Perry; 05-31-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Quick Reply: In Need of a Sanity Check - Tried and Failed to Line Up a Detail at Auto Concierge