993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 C4S front humming noise 60-70 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012 | 11:23 AM
Dwzamberlan
1st Gear

Default 1996 C4S front humming noise 60-70 MPH?

I get a humming noise (Road sound) at 60-70 MPH, but when I change lanes (Go from center lane to left lane) the noise temporarly goes away for a few seconds. It seems that when the weight of the car is shifted to the left side the sound is gone, for a few seconds. If shifted to the right, the humming IS STILL THERE. Also, if I apply the brakes lightly, the humming noise goes away for a few seconds. I looked at the tires and they look fine. Looked at the rotors, seem to be fine. Did notice that the brake dust shield (I think that is what I am seeing on the inside, behind the rotors) on the left has no remaining paint while the right has paint flaking off. Could the wind, at 60-70 MPH, cause the humming sound as it passes by the loosely, attached paint? Forgot to mention that this was the first run after being stored from the winter weather. ALSO, I had to take the 911 for an emission test. Going to the test facility, I did not notice any sound, but after the testing (They just plugged into the port-no "rollers"), when I did get on the highway, that is when I noticed the sound.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dwzamberlan
Old 05-26-2012 | 01:26 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a wheel bearing.
Old 05-26-2012 | 06:13 PM
lopro
Banned

yes Id lean towards a wheel bearing aswell, Most times when my wheel bearings have failed in the past it was the opposite side I hear the noise on.

The sound of a noisy/grinding wheel bearing will often travel into the opposite side of the car. Sometimes turning your head between the center of the two front seats helps to hear which bearing is falty. Id have it looked at to be sure what the issue is
check the balance of the wheels and the driveshafts while your in there.
Old 05-27-2012 | 09:13 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Yep, sounds like a wheel bearing. Now the hard part, finding which one. I found my bad bearing by jacking up the car and spinning each wheel. I could hear a slight grinding noise in the offending part.

Quick Reply: 1996 C4S front humming noise 60-70 MPH?