993 Forum 1995-1998

A good solution for modern connectivity to our old stereos

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default A good solution for modern connectivity to our old stereos

While I was waiting for my (new to me) C4S to be painted, I was looking at different car stereo systems. Because I don't care about CDs and Radio/Bluetooth were my key criteria, I had settled on the KD-X50BT which was cheap and had great reviews.

I had forgotten that I had premium sound and was trying to figure out how to bypass the amp and install a new stereo myself. Once I got the car, listening to the Radio on the CDR-220 I was surprised by the sound quality, it was actually pretty good.

So I decided to use this small device I have in my A3. It is a bluetooth speaker phone packed with an FM transmitter. While it sounds just ok in the A3, it sounded great on the 993. I don't know if it's because the antena is closer/different/better but the sound is actually really good, streaming from my phone (Android or iPhone) to the Motorola Roadster to the CDR-220.

I bought the new Motorola Roadster 2 for the 993. I don't know what it really has over the original Motorola Roaster, I left in the A3, maybe the sound quality has improved.

It is also a hands free kit, good for calling from your car, integrates with your phone's contact list and has a built in speaker if you don't want to pipe the sound to your radio.

For me it's an ideal solution, it's small, sounds great and I don't have to replace my CDR-220 with a more modern looking setup.

Quick Reply: A good solution for modern connectivity to our old stereos