Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Poll: Who uses their 993 as a DD? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/697219-poll-who-uses-their-993-as-a-dd.html)

RJT 05-19-2012 03:55 PM

The '97 and the '98 were my daily drivers.

Ed Burdell 05-19-2012 06:57 PM

Sorry I missed this thread earlier, but I was doing an Atlanta-Charlotte round trip in mine last Thursday. :D

While I alternate driving the 993 with the F-150 (aka Truckasaurus), the 993 gets the call on most dry days. I've put about 52K miles on it in the six years I've owned it, and I want to drive it even more.

ericthepilot 05-19-2012 07:03 PM

I am ok with it !

Leon993 05-19-2012 09:05 PM

To all the garage queen owners out there: let me spare you the mystery of what happens after you die and your relatives inherit your 993. I can absolutely assure you that they wont hold it in the reverence that you do, so they will either drive it or cash it in.

The only cars that should be garage queens are those of great historical significance whose appreciation is evident year after year. Not only is this important from an investment perspective, but also for its preservation, so future generations can learn about these cars. While the 993 is hands down the coolest 911, it is not a collectible. 65,000 were made.

Look guys, dont be afraid of getting flaws in your flawless garage queens. You'll be surprised what a liberating feeling it is to accept you car as a partner on the road without worrying if the rain is going to hit it, letting the patina form on its metal and the character it gets with every new crease in its leather.

You cant take it with you my friends, so if you don't accept and use the gifts the 993 was built for, I can absolutely assure you, without question, that the next owner will.

richardew 05-20-2012 12:00 AM

I've averaged 17500 miles a year on my car since I bought it in 1996. I've had a few other cars along with the P car to share some of the load:
2001 e55 - 45000 miles
2003 infiniti fx45 - 120000 miles
2004 350z convertable - 30000 miles
2008 bmw 3335xi coupe 70000 miles
2011 bmw x35i 25000 miles
I guess I only drive my c4 cab half the time so it's my half DD
:D

Mike in Chi 05-20-2012 02:44 PM

This is from another thread, but figure it fits here as well:

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi (Post 9545840)
I'd say buy what makes you happiest and drive it the way you want. 100 miles a year or a hundred thousand. Solely on the track or everyday to the office and grocery store.

It's your car. Your money. Your investment. Get the ROI you are after, not someone else's.

We're blessed in that we can afford to own one of the finest sportscars ever built. Enjoy it in the way you want

Magdaddy 05-20-2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bravo20 (Post 9543394)
Must admit I've always liked my cars perfect,but purchased this car with the intention of driving daily and up keeping the maintenance,and living with the minor imperfections,front bumper scrapes, seat bolsters showing signs of wear etc.
Good therapy for me.

Even after a bad day at work,great to hear the sound of those Fister Stage 2,while driving home.

Somewhat like the challenge of keeping the car as nice as possible while using it as a daily driver.

Live is short.

Originally Posted by rutz36 (Post 9541571)
Oh yes, I have those moments when I consider the merits of being conservative with the mileage and wear and tear and then reality smacks me and I wonder who I am saving the car for. Then, I climb in and haul ass!

The above pretty much sums it all up for me. I bought my car with the intention of it being my year round DD here in Central New York...that's why I was hot for a C4, C4S. What I ultimately ended up with, was just too nice to subject to winter use, yet.

As long as I have a decent parking spot on whatever project I'm involved with, it's my DD. With the exception of the last project...it was just 5 minutes across town, just too short of a drive unfortunately. The current project is approx 30 miles away, mostly interstate.

I get additional kicks by throwing the various bikes on the roof(Ruf would be better) rack, for a ride or race somewhere. The car never fails to get looks and comments everywhere I go. I love every shift, every pedal application. I'm lucky that I live in relative isolation population wise...compared to many of you. My early am work start times usually get me in before traffic picks up. But traffic here at rush hour, is probably like traffic at 2am on a Monday for many of you.

inkatouring 05-21-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by TravisB (Post 9543917)
The vast majority of the time it's in a climate controlled garage (62-64 degrees), in a giant vinyl 'bubble' purged with organic free range inert gas.

Free-range Porsche. Now that's something I could get into.

dbf73 05-21-2012 11:16 AM

DD during the non-salt season. Road Atlanta (at least pre-emasculation) was the shizznit

95 C4 993 05-22-2012 12:42 AM

Work from home so my DD is high defination video conferencing equipment. I got a company car back in Oct so I put around in that for the most part. Im averaging 700 miles a month on my company car! I dont drive much.

Mike in Chi 05-22-2012 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by dbf73 (Post 9547658)
Road Atlanta (at least pre-emasculation) was the shizznit

You mean like this:

Fortunately, no one's been able to do that in a '44 S-2 :D

Franklin229 05-22-2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Leon993 (Post 9544681)
To all the garage queen owners out there: let me spare you the mystery of what happens after you die and your relatives inherit your 993. I can absolutely assure you that they wont hold it in the reverence that you do, so they will either drive it or cash it in.

The only cars that should be garage queens are those of great historical significance whose appreciation is evident year after year. Not only is this important from an investment perspective, but also for its preservation, so future generations can learn about these cars. While the 993 is hands down the coolest 911, it is not a collectible. 65,000 were made.

Look guys, dont be afraid of getting flaws in your flawless garage queens. You'll be surprised what a liberating feeling it is to accept you car as a partner on the road without worrying if the rain is going to hit it, letting the patina form on its metal and the character it gets with every new crease in its leather.

You cant take it with you my friends, so if you don't accept and use the gifts the 993 was built for, I can absolutely assure you, without question, that the next owner will.

I hear your point. At the same time-its not going to matter what happens to my 993 after I take the dirt nap. While I am around though, the joy of driving my car in conditions I appreciate gives me the experience I desire from my car. This would be cancelled by the uneasy feelings I would have if I drove in snow, salt and rain. To further, use as a DD for me would diminish the novelty of the car itself. Like a fine suit one might have to be appreciated on special occasions but not everyday. Just my take on the whole thing.

Sean Hamilton 06-01-2012 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by aribop (Post 9541370)
Yep, one and only car, driven daily 365 days a year.............

Yep ... DD for my 993,
100k’s door to door fast n' twisty
non-stop n' top down on the fringes of the urban sprawl.

pp000830 06-01-2012 12:29 PM

Yes we use our 993 every day as we did with our 86' Carrera before it and our 924s before that. All I can add is if you show up at a Porsche club event with snow tires on your 911 you will get some long looks from other members who are a lot more fastidious with their cars.

palmfish 06-01-2012 03:52 PM

I have a company car for use during the week, so my 993 is strictly driven on weekends. Sometimes if the sun is out my 993 calls to me and I drive it to work - but mostly, it's the Chevy Malibu... I guess I can't complain though.