Sponsored by:

buying sparco seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying sparco seats

Found a set of Sparco Evo 2 seats for sale for $800 on PCA site, and have a few questions if anyone here has familiarity and time enough to answer:

Are there any options or questions I should ask about? What age is a general limit for buying/using these?

Passenger seat has "mouse damage" and I am expecting better pics. Is $800 a good price assuming this is minor? How realistic is it for me to have this repaired? (probably live with it?)

Present owner has them in a 944 with adapters. Is 993 install straight forward as is?

I am 6'1, average build, 185 lbs - any recommendation on specific size?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:42 PM
zechunique
Racer

Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

-Ask the seller when the FIA rating expires. Expired seats have less value since race organizations require non expired seats or a seat back brace for expired seats.

-Ask the seller if the seats have been involved in a crash, too.

-The price is pretty good (not in screaming deal territory like the Evo 2 seat that sold new for $450 last year https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...vo-2-seat.html), but it really depends on what the seats really look like beyond the one photo in PCA's mart. These sell for about $750 new.

-You'll need to get a fresh cover from Sparco; don't think repairs are possible.

-Have you ever tried these seats? I can't recall of Evo 2's are for big guys, but you're not portly. I like my seats like I like my women: tight.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'4" 225# and I use the slightly larger EVO 2 Plus. The EVO 2 should be plenty big.

If you search my other threads on Sparco seats, you'll see that I used a custom-built sidemount for my seats. I don't know if the 944 adapters will work in your car, but I don't know that they won't either.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
zechunique
Racer

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Ummm... what do you need them for? Street? Dual use? Track?

Have you ever sat in a real bucket seat? Have you tried to get in-out? Have you tried to use stock belt with a sport bucket?

I don't think it's a great deal with "mouse damage". For comparison - there's a local guy selling expired Evo (not Evo 2) for $250. However, if they are in decent shape and they are on real Sparco side mounts with real Porsche sliders it's a good deal as Mark indicated above.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM
zechunique
Racer

Thanks Mike.

I would be using them for the track, and the car would be dual use. I haven't tracked this particular car yet though, I want to do a few things to it first.

I pretty sure these seats would accommodate the 3-point factory belts, but I may eventually add half cage, 5-points, and hans.

I sat in a set of Momo seats (not sure the exact model) a few weeks ago (https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...black-tan.html), and liked the experience overall. Though I did find that the lower seat position caused my knee to be very close to steering wheel due to the angle and length of my leg. Anyone else have trouble with that?

Thanks for the data points on the pricing. I'm still hoping to find out if the present owner's brackets will work in a 993.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

I went to a smaller wheel. Love it.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

My thoughts on real dual seats is simple - unless it's a dedicated track or autocross car you need something with low profile side bolsters. I have Sparco Roadster seats in my Miata for a number of years now and this is a seat that does well for dual use.

Great wonderfully supportive seat that you can actually get in and out of. And I did pretty OK autocrossing in it for about 7 seasons. As Miata is moving off the street duty by being stiff, loud and shaky I'm considering a real race seat. But i wouldn't want to live with one on the street, no. Too much of a contortion exercise to get in and out of.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:52 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

i use the evo 2 on my track car. They are a pain in the butt when i use the car for daily duty and on long distances not the most comfortable ones causing me some mild back discomfort. Not sure i would buy again to be honest...
I think Mike's take is a better one, unless you tilt towards track only.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
My thoughts on real dual seats is simple - unless it's a dedicated track or autocross car you need something with low profile side bolsters. I have Sparco Roadster seats in my Miata for a number of years now and this is a seat that does well for dual use.

Great wonderfully supportive seat that you can actually get in and out of. And I did pretty OK autocrossing in it for about 7 seasons. As Miata is moving off the street duty by being stiff, loud and shaky I'm considering a real race seat. But i wouldn't want to live with one on the street, no. Too much of a contortion exercise to get in and out of.
All good points. I live with the compromises of my seats, but I don't do a lot of around town driving. If I did, it would probably drive me nuts. My size doesn't leave me with lots of options, either. The Roadster seat would be a great for dual use if it fits.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Roadster is discontinued, AFAIK, but I was looking at their Chronosport (?) and that could be a similar seat.

My biggest point is not even comfort. it's the ability to get in and out. Those thigh bolsters discourage you from extra ice cream stop really well. Maybe it's a good thing?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

How is Recaro PP for dual use?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Shell seat choices are incredibly personal and based on usage, body type and physical limitations. I had GT3 shell seats in my car, spent a significant amount of time on the street driving them and found the buckets to be extremely capable dual purpose seats. I've never had any back issues and would not have any problem running the GT3's, Pole Positions or even using my Recaro Pro Racer HANS seat in a daily driver. Seriously. The feeling of being socketed in and completely connected with the 993 is akin to riding a bike with clipless pedals versus using old school toe straps; the biomechanical connection can't be discounted.

I view getting in and out of high bolstered seats as being similar to climbing stairs to get to work. Sure, it requires a bit more effort, but isn't that how one builds muscle?

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 05-21-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, using the stair analogy is good, I like that. The taller the side bolsters, the higher the floor.

My personal comfort is third floor or so and, as I've said, Sparco Roadsters

Quick Reply: buying sparco seats