Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Nuts.....lug nuts that is, Rennline steel lug nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nuts.....lug nuts that is, Rennline steel lug nuts...

The common knowledge from my searches is that the Porsche wheels are all ball seat, NOT conical seat (very straight sides on the cone). I've got 993 turbo hollows and a set of MY02s I'll be using these on. Recently, I got Rennline ball seat steel lug nuts through Pelican. HOWEVER, the "ball seat" nuts that came from Rennline have nearly a full 90degree radius in the ball seat, much more curve than the standard lug nuts I have on the car now. My existing lug nuts are a much gentler arch, in between the Rennline nut and a regular conical nut.

Has anyone here gotten Rennline steel lugnuts lately and noticed this?

Now......Wanna see pictures of my nuts? Yep, I thought so.....

Here's the Rennline ball seat nut. You can see where is was scarred by trying it out today. The seating was very much on a small surface area. Sadly I did not photograph this next to my original aluminum lug nuts for comparison, but I added photos below that show approximately what standard lugnuts look like. We also tried the standard lugnut and marked it up to see how much of the marking was removed by the seating of the standard lug nut....a very compete seating, unlike the Rennline "ball seat" nut.

Here's a link to the Rennline webpage, but its not clear which nuts these are. They look much like the normal Porsche lug nuts. They do NOT look like what I was shipped....

And finally (just because he sent me a picture of his nuts from his camera phone), Joel's:

^^^These appear to be very similar to the standard Porsche lug nut.

Any help appreciated...and I'll be calling Rennline tomorrow... I'm desperately trying to get things put together for a weekend at the track and these nuts are key to my sticky tires, as I have to run adapters with my MY02s and thus need steel lug nuts.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

You're nuts.

Andreas
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you can find some locally in CA. I'm surprised by what you got from Rennline, but I would just plan on sending those back and sourcing some locally. If nothing else, I'd bet a local RL'er could hook you up with a set before the weeken, or find a reputable seller that can ship expedited. I wouldn't wait until I heard from Rennline; go on and order another set prior to rectifying that situation.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Hmm, I've used several different sets of open-ended steel wheel nuts in the past and none have looked as conical as the one in your photo. Send them back.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by ilko
Hmm, I've used several different sets of open-ended steel wheel nuts in the past and none have looked as conical as the one in your photo. Send them back.
Do you mean first pic is too rounded (not conical)??? Or the latter 2 photos are too conical???

Yep sounds like I'm sending them back. Now to find a local source in SD....
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

What I meant to say was that the lug nut on the last photo looks only slightly round and definitely more conical than ball seated.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Why steel nuts instead of the factory alloy? Just curious.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
You're nuts.

Andreas
Thank you Captain Obvious! What would we do without you!?!?

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Why steel nuts instead of the factory alloy? Just curious.
Required by PCA for DE/TT when running a wheel adapter (not a simple spacer), which I need for my MY02's on the back. And steel is the requirement for most club racing groups (which I'm not doing, but as an example). There are a few threads here (by those more knowledgeable than I), but in short, safety. Further, the studs are steel and the Al factory lug have different coefficients of expansion and steel is more wear resistant if you're taking them on/off alot as track folks may.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Interesting, thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keith,

You can borrow my steel open eneded nuts. I'm driving the car today but can easily throw her on the lift tonight and take off the wheels for you to have the nuts for the weekend. Mine (from rennline 3 years ago) look like the proper Porsche nut.

Let me know.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
The common knowledge from my searches is that the Porsche wheels are all ball seat, :
Hey KJR, I've used nuts like you show in photo #2 for nearly 3 years with no issues on a variety of wheels.
Not sure if they are "right" not.

~ $2.25 @ VW Paradise in San Marcos on Grand Ave.

Sorry, can't pick them up for you, I'm in Sunnyvale.

Craig
Old 05-16-2012, 04:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Required by PCA for DE/TT when running a wheel adapter (not a simple spacer), which I need for my MY02's on the back. And steel is the requirement for most club racing groups (which I'm not doing, but as an example). There are a few threads here (by those more knowledgeable than I), but in short, safety. Further, the studs are steel and the Al factory lug have different coefficients of expansion and steel is more wear resistant if you're taking them on/off alot as track folks may.
Mainly because we got tired of teching cars in the widebody conversion era of the '80s that had big-*** spacers with not-long-enough studs. Open lugs allowed you to quickly (and definitively) determine sufficient thread engagement.

I personally have never seen a non-abused factory alloy lug fail on track.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
kjr914
Drifting

The plot thickens.... I PM'ed the Rennline folks here on RL and they got back to me quickly this morning. I'm trying to confirm some things before I post here, especially since it was in PM that info was exchanged.

At lunch I got a pic of a few lug nuts...R to L <edit: L to R, actually>: Rennline "ball seat", steel lug for Porsche from my local Pcar independent (Black Forest), Al lug nut for Porsche (from Black Forest)

Adam,
Thanks for the offer...we'll chat later tonight and try to work something out.

Last edited by kjr914; 05-16-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. I just purchased a set from Rennline as well. I will check mine (nuts )when I get home.

The Porsche lugs in your photo definitely appear to be different when compared to the Rennline lugs.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

^ I assume you meant L to R in your pic.

I love Rennline stuff, but in this case would use Porsche nuts.

Quick Reply: Nuts.....lug nuts that is, Rennline steel lug nuts...