Sponsored by:

Need help routing power cable for GPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need help routing power cable for GPS

My GPS died after 5 years so I am replacing it with an updated Garmin that has live traffic updates.

There is an existing cable that has been routed through this route - so I know it is possible.

I am trying to fish the cable that has a mini USB connector on the end, from under the dash on the passenger side through an existing wiring passage that runs up behind the heater fan.

Once you have the wiring past the fan it is easy to get the rest of the way so your wire can come up under the dash. I have the dash out.

I have taped the new power cable to the old one and hoped I would be able to pull the new one through. Not happening - it is getting hung on something and not making it through.

Any ideas? The passage between the fan casing coming up is tight. Is there a way to loosen the fan casing allowing more room?

Other routes to get the wiring through?

Thanks,
John
Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To close the loop on this post. The space was too small to snake the cable through with the 3D Traffic antennae block and mini USB connector. I was able to successfully splice the cable which has three wires - two for power (which had a solid center wire surrounded with a stranded outside ground) and one for the GPS antennae. Easily spliced, soldered and used heat sink tubing to insulate.

Works great and is a clean install. Sorry the pictures aren't better.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Need help routing power cable for GPS